Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

lafortse

lafortse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I loaded everything that I had onto my external hard drive to free some space. Just as I finished, I knocked my external drive over and it hit the floor. Now it comes on and blinks off, off and on. I can hear it roaring but my computer won't recognize it. Will I be able to get my information off the drive or is it just a total lost. Thanks

P.S.
I read in a blog to try and put the drive in the freezer then try it again, Also to try pluging it into another computer.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Almost any data can be saved depending on what you are willing to pay. Your HD is damaged physically which means that extracting the data may cost a lot (as opposed to logic damage, like accidental delete or corrupted file tables, which are much easier to fix).

Whatever the case this disk must be replaced. If you only have backups on it and the original files exist and can be backed up again, your best option is to discard the disk and buy another one.