Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with IE 7

• Please log in to reply

scarle

scarle

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,
For some reason its not letting me open up Internet Options... The box will pop up then immediately disappear. I tried to turn off the popup blocker, but it still wont open it up. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks for your time and help.

Advertisements

damiensz

damiensz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Use firefox, its a much better version of I.E which has excellent security, stability and is more or less bug-free.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure if I can help, but are you opening Internet Options from within IE only or from within Control Panel? Try both and see if it disappears both ways.

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Use firefox, its a much better version of I.E which has excellent security, stability and is more or less bug-free.

how does that fix the OP's problems with IE? what if they prefer IE (i can't stand firefox personally)...how bout posting a sollution to the problem instead of a workaround that's not always the best sollution?

scarle

scarle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Not sure if I can help, but are you opening Internet Options from within IE only or from within Control Panel? Try both and see if it disappears both ways.

Ron

Thanks for your response. I am trying to open internet options from within IE... I go to tools then internet options but it just disappears. I just went to control panel and Internet Options isn't there which is weird.... I would like to clear my history, searches, etc

Any suggestions on what could be wrong? Thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This behaviour can be caused by software such as TweakUI and others to modify the security level on the computer, this would include limiting access to the Internet Options box. Of course obvious parental security software can cause this as well.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That was going to be my next question as to whether there was any programs installed that gave that kind of control. I know you can limit Internet Options access from Spybot - Search & Destroy program. Possibly there are other programs then it and TweakUI.

Ron

scarle

scarle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No, I don't have any programs like that on my computer. I was able to open Internet Options about a month or so ago, and this problem began a 2-3 weeks ago. No one else has used my computer, other than my ex... Its just frustrating :whistling:

EDIT: Is there another way I can access my Internet Options?

Edited by scarle, 01 August 2007 - 07:46 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you using IE 7.0? Whichever version, you might try uninstalling the browser and re-installing it. I'm not sure if any policy restrictions were set in the Registry at this point by a recent M$ update.

Ron