Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee Questions/Concerns

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
This morning I went to use my computer and I was prompted with a McAfee screen that said my computer was not fully protected. I therefore, tried to fix it, but was then told that some files/etc. to run this were missing and I would have to reintall. While this was happening, some updates were being installed; which I then restarted the computer and hoped that this would fix the problem.

To no avail, my computer was still not fully protected; so I then searched for updates to which I had to restart the computer before I could do that (do not know why). Anyway, when the computer rebooted I searched and installed updates and then restarted once more. Once it rebooted this time, it now shows that my computer is fully protected.

However, after this, I was given a McAfee pop-up that said something was trying to do a registry change; I blocked it and later another one popped up:

Drive Letter Access Component & SonicStage Application

- Sonic Stage Solutions & Sonic Corporation

Now... my problem/concern is that the McAfee components that were missing (i.e. computer not fully protected) and the registry change request are somehow connected and that these events may occur again. Do I have anything to worry about, what may be the problem, and what exactly is a registry change?

Thank you very much...

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Duplicate thread - closed.

Original thread here.