Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sari's grammar thread

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I belong to a number of forums, and I find that many people make the same mistakes over and over. I decided to address some of the most common mistakes I see. While I don't expect to change the world, maybe someone will read what I've written and learn from it. I think it's very important for people to be able to use written communication effectively, whether at work, school, or something more casual, such as these forums.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Your vs. you're

This is probably one of the most common mistakes out there.

Your - this is a possessive - it can be used to indicate ownership (or lack thereof), i.e., "This is your car", or "That is not your name".

You're - this is a contraction of the words you and are, and is used in place of those two words, i.e., "You are going to school tomorrow" becomes "You're going to school tomorrow".

Incorrect

Your going to add an external hard drive to your PC.

Correct

You're going to add an external hard drive to your PC.

One way to remember this is to think about whether the words "you are" could be used appropriately in the sentence. You would not say "This is you are car", therefore the correct word is your. By the same token, you could say "You are going to school", so the correct word would be you're.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
There, their, and they're

There - when used as an adverb, indicates a location or a specific event, i.e., "There is the store", or "The milk is over there". It can also be used as a pronoun, such as "There is going to to be an upgrade of this software next month".

Their - this is a possessive. "Their PC needs an upgrade". "The house belongs to their uncle".

They're - this is a contraction, just like you're, and it's short for they are; "They are going to the Geek conference" becomes "They're going to the Geek conference". Again, if the words "they are" are appropriate in the sentence, then "they're" can be used.

Edited by sari, 01 August 2007 - 10:32 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Its and it's

Its - this is a possessive, again. "The mouse is running in its wheel". "Its wheel is spinning rapidly".

It's - yet another contraction, this time of it is. "It is going to rain" becomes "It's going to rain". "I wonder if it's warm in Hawaii". If you can use "it is" in the sentence, then it's appropriate to use "it's".

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
"Well" is an adverb, "good" is an adjective. (The good boy didn't feel well.)

"I wish there was" is wrong. "I wish there were" is correct. Hint: If there is an "if" or "wish" in the sentence, the verb should probably be "were".

"Someone helped me, but they forgot to tell me their name." No. Someone is one person, not two. "Someone helped me, but he forgot to tell me his name."

"The book went missing yesterday" arrgghhh The book is missing. Period. It didn't get up and walk. "The book has been missing since yesterday." or "The book is missing."

"Mad" means "crazy", not "angry". "America" can refer to any country in North or South America. (Try telling someone from Toronto that he is not a North American!) I "speak" to my kids, not "talk" to them. However, we can talk about almost anything together.

Don't get me started, Sari, I could go on forever because I can still recall from school a Mrs. McCrory looking at some of my sentences, sighing, and admitting that some things can't be fixed, that they simply need to be rewritten, because otherwise you can end up with long run-on sentences, like this one, that are impossible to punctuate or diagram, and can make Sari's head hurt.
Johanna

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for the additional input, Johanna! I could go on and on too, but I figured I had to stop somewhere!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you ever get the urge to edit some of the posts in red ink, or do you just sit there silently fuming.

I now their are various way's of looking at this problem but I end up thinking thats' life and its probably not there first language (sorry couldn't resist)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Do you ever get the urge to edit some of the posts in red ink, or do you just sit there silently fuming.

I now their there are various way's ways of looking at this problem but I end up thinking thats' that's life and its it's probably not there their first language (sorry couldn't resist)

*admin couldn't resist!

...and no, I didn't make any of those errors up, they were all there. :whistling:

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Do you ever get the urge to edit some of the posts in red ink, or do you just sit there silently fuming.?

I now know their there are various way's ways of looking at this problem, but I end up thinking thats' that's life, and its it's probably not there their first language. (sSorry, couldn't resist.)

Is this more good?

Disclaimer: I purposely used incorrect grammar in the above sentence. Don't roast me!

Edited by stettybet0, 04 August 2007 - 01:42 PM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Has rock seen this ? or
Did rock see this ?

:whistling:

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Is this more good?

Betterer

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Has rock done seen this ? or
Did rock see this'n ?

fixt

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
sorry monkey boy I m a bit further North :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Don't you mean "Nawth"? I grew up in New Hamp-shuh so the consonant "R" was unfamiliar to me until I was a teenage-uh.
Johanna

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
I stand corrected I didn't know you gew up in NH Jo

Thats wicked pissa :whistling: