Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sari's grammar thread

• Please log in to reply

Transience

Transience

Unofficial Music Guru

• Retired Staff
  • 2,448 posts
I pahked my cah in hahvahd yahd...

Advertisements

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi Sari ! 11000110111 100110001 10001111110 !!!!!!! Spelling 100% correct! Prove me wrong!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Æó~ <---poor grammar

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Æó~ <---poor grammar

I'm not so sure about the grammar,it looks moore like foul language to me!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Hi Sari ! 11000110111 100110001 10001111110 !!!!!!! Spelling 100% correct! Prove me wrong!!

I do believe this is a grammar thread, not a spelling thread. As for the grammar in your post, you incorrectly put spaces after words, but before punctuation. Also, the sentence "Spelling 100% correct!" cannot possibly be grammatically correct, as it has no finite verb phrase.

And, of course, Æó~ is poor spelling anyways.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi stettybet0 ! The thread started out as a grammar thread,but it was soon hijacked by people with a sense of HUMOR! Thank's for taking the fun out of it!Maybe you didn't notest,but unfortunatly i dont belong to the english speaking elite! Since this site is being read by a lot of people,i think it's a bit rude to correct people in that way.Furthermoore it makes me think twice before i either post a thread or reply to any thing on this site.

Edited by ZORBA THE GEEK, 11 August 2007 - 01:49 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I actually was using humor. I don't think anyone can say "finite verb phrase" without cracking up. :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Furthermoore it makes me think twice before i either post a thread or reply to any thing

Always a good thing to do, I reckon... I usually read through the whole post in the "preview" mode, and I might change it a few times before I finally post...

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Always a good thing to do, I reckon... I usually read through the whole post in the "preview" mode, and I might change it a few times before I finally post...
[/quote]
:whistling: Guess you're right! Should have used "grammar" 100% correct instead of "spelling"!After reading stettybet0's reply again,i've notest he was actualy pulling my leg with his remarks! Hi stettybet0!Sorry for my outburst earlier,you made it sound so real;that i didn't stop to think! Only after reading over it again i clicked! :blink: I should have known better than to think otherwise!Btw:i was not aware that you can read Binary & Hex

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Another one that annoys me is than and then. I have seen them both wrongly used. Examples:

First you need to click on the "Start Menu", and then select "Microsoft Update".
I recommend you perform a spyware scan rather than waste your time closing popups.

:whistling:

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have seen another example recently. Sari, this was a great thread idea! :whistling:

Using the word of instead of have. I even have a link to reference for this one, because I looked it up. The error is called "Pronunciation Spelling". Link: http://dictionary.re...e.com/browse/of

Examples:
I would of liked to go to the circus. (wrong)
I would have liked to go to the circus. (right)
I would've liked to go to the circus. (right - a contraction of would and have)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Thanks, ruthandtroy - I try!

That is a good example, as was the then and than - people get those confused all the time.

Another one is plurals and apostrophes.

I have twenty cat's - WRONG! The apostrophe indicates a possessive noun, not a plural noun.
I have twenty cats - RIGHT!

My cat's tail is short - RIGHT! This is a possessive noun, referring to the tail of the cat.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Whats a proverb?

I never understood this stuff in school.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
pro-verb
–noun Grammar.
a word that can substitute for a verb or verb phrase. They never attend board meetings, but we do regularly.

Do is the proverb - it substitutes for attend.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
*admin thought it was a verb that accepted payment and lost its amateur status? :whistling: