Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sari's grammar thread

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

You are the grammar queen.

No, I am the grammar goddess.

It is actually really annoying when people correct what one writes.

It is actually really annoying when people can't be bothered to write correctly. Thank you for using one as a pronoun in this sentence.

However it is also a very good way to learn.

Indeed, assuming that the person being corrected actually pays attention to the corrections.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Indeed, assuming that the person being corrected actually pays attention to the corrections.

Unfortunately, most people couldn't care less.

My biggest pet peeve is when people use an ellipsis (...) improperly. The correct way to use them is to have the three dots, and then a space after them (prior to the next word). I actually never knew this, and used it improperly all the time myself. As I began doing the ghost writing for my work, I was quickly corrected by "Editor Bob". He jumped all over me. Now, whenever I see them used wrong, it freaks me out. :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Harhar. You are the grammar queen. Lol. It is actually really annoying when people correct what one writes. However it is also a very good way to learn.

:)

And as a ?:

http://www.geekstogo...46#entry1144546

Hey thanks for moving that. I would just like to let you know the tongue.gif was not an emoticon. It was tongue.gif as in :Pirate.

The only pirate washer.

The only pirate washer.

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

You are the grammar queen.

No, I am the grammar goddess.

Ahh... Cool.

It is actually really annoying when people correct what one writes.

It is actually really annoying when people can't be bothered to write correctly. Thank you for using one as a pronoun in this sentence.

I write like that all the time. Is it wrong?

However it is also a very good way to learn.

I had it more or less drummed into me. Lol.

The only pirate washer.

The only pirate washer.

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

And as a What the...:

http://www.geekstogo...46#entry1144546

Hey thanks for moving that. I would just like to let you know the tongue.gif was not an emoticon. It was tongue.gif as in :Pirate.

My real name is Nicky, therefore my first initial would be N. Instead of writing out my whole user name, I use the initial but with ':' in front. It was just something that I did that was quite ironic to me on another forum. Is there any way I might be able to disable BBcodes in my posts and then I will not have that problem?

Pirate.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Not sure what I did there - had too many windows open and I was supposed to be replying to your other topic.

I don't think bbcode can be disabled for one person. You'd have to try and get around it by doing something like ::).

No, it's not wrong - that's why I thanked you. In formal usage, the pronoun one is sometimes used as a generic pronoun meaning “anyone”. In your sentence, that was an appropriate use of it. You could have said "It is actually really annoying when people correct what I write", but that makes it very specific to you.

The only pirate washer.

The only pirate washer.

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Not sure what I did there - had too many windows open and I was supposed to be replying to your other topic.

I don't think bbcode can be disabled for one person. You'd have to try and get around it by doing something like ::).

No, it's not wrong - that's why I thanked you. In formal usage, the pronoun one is sometimes used as a generic pronoun meaning “anyone”. In your sentence, that was an appropriate use of it. You could have said "It is actually really annoying when people correct what I write", but that makes it very specific to you.

I think I will just stick with Pirate. If I am feeling extra lazy then : P might work.
I thought maybe you were being sarcastic. That's cool. I had intended that it was not specific unto myself.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Hey Sari:

last Tuesday, when I went to the Grocery Store, I saw the sign at my local pharmacy: It was spelled WRONG:

It was Spelled "P H A R M A C" and the "Y" had fallen off the sign or something....

This week, When I went, they had the "Y" back up there, but when I saw it last week, it gave me a chuckle, and I remember that you said that you went to find a manager to ask him/her to correct the sign you saw.

Spelling and grammar are important, and I was taught that if you are not careful how you write, then it can make the writer look silly - I actually like to make sure that what I write is correct, but sometimes, I type so fast that I misspell things sometimes :)

Brian

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

It was Spelled "P H A R M A C" and the "Y" had fallen off the sign or something....

Y??? What Y??? I've always said "I'm just going down to the pharmac, honey..." :)

It's funny seeing spelling mistakes everywhere, especially in professional business signs and brochures. I think it makes them look really bad. Of course, if the letter just fell off the sign, we can't really blame them for poor spelling can we? :)

Cheers

Troy

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
One of our local shops had their very large awning sign at the front of their shop vandalised on the weekend. It used to say "saddlery" ... now it says "sad" :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
At least it's still spelt correctly! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay I'm not sure if this thread is technically discussing grammar, but I feel the need to comment on the whole "quoting" scenario and thought I'd add it here.

I often quote people so that users can see exactly to which comment I am responding. This means I will use the "Quote" button and then delete other text, leaving the part I wish to quote.

However, as you can see in the thread linked to above, I feel it is a crime to use the quote feature and change the wording. I didn't wish to discuss it further in the thread as it's not a discussion thread, but a how-to thread...

Does anyone agree with this? What about even just deleting text as I do, as this opens a comment to being taken out-of-context? I'd love to hear some opinions on this.

Cheers

Troy

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
You mean like this ....

I love Troy

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Okay I'm not sure if this thread is technically discussing grammar, but I feel the need to comment on the whole "quoting" scenario and thought I'd add it here.

I often quote people so that users can see exactly to which comment I am responding. This means I will use the "Quote" button and then delete other text, leaving the part I wish to quote.

However, as you can see in the thread linked to above, I feel it is a crime to use the quote feature and change the wording. I didn't wish to discuss it further in the thread as it's not a discussion thread, but a how-to thread...

Does anyone agree with this? What about even just deleting text as I do, as this opens a comment to being taken out-of-context? I'd love to hear some opinions on this.

Cheers

Troy

Changing the person's text is not a good idea, no. However... deleting everything but that which you wish to respond to is fine. This falls more under "etiquette", rather than good grammar. :)