Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply

kinolie

kinolie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
About two weeks ago, my computer shut itself off and now it will not start up again. When I turn it on, the Dell screen appears followed by a black screen with writing on it that basically says there was an error when your somputer shut down use the arow buton on your keyboard to select how you want your computer to boot up. Then there is a list of four things like "safe mode" "last functioning time" or Normally. But when you hit the arrow key to move to a selection it doesn't work and won't move so basically it just sits on start normally. So after your twenty or so seconds to pick a selection is up the screen goes to windows xp screen then thwo screen trunds blue with a ton of white writing on it but only for about two seconds which isn't even long enough for me to read two words of what is written and then the whole process stats all over again and it just keeps going over and over and over and never boots up. I tried puting in the cd for windows xp professional which is what I have on my computer and nothing happens. Any ideas?
thanks

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
welcome to geekstogo

two ideas then, restore form command prompt, or repair with xp cd, both links below,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

kinolie

kinolie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, but I can't do any of that because when I get to the screen where you can select safe mode, run normally etc... the arows on the keyboard don't work to move the selection so it is stuck on "start windowns normally". I've tried three different keyboards so it isn't my keyboard...

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Take out the hard drive install in a computer which has XP
as a master/slave on the SECONDARY IDE channel

Make sure the bios sees the second drive.

All been well the computer will see the drive as extra partitions on the
computer in windows explorer

Clean out the temp folders cookies and internet explorer folders, scan for viruses ect,
run CHKDSK /F on the drive,

Reinstall back in the original computer, see if it boots ok