Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS word conversion help

• Please log in to reply

whiteboymike

whiteboymike

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all

A friend recently passed me on a MS word file that he cant open (his school work) . Basically it shows alot of unusual characters and wont convert using any of the filters. If anyone has an idea how to solve this problem, i would greately appreciate it. I would happily email the fil to anyone who thinks they can help.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi whiteboymike. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

1. the document was created in which version?
2. you're trying to open it in which version?

There are some incompatibilities between Office 2007 and the previous ones. Not that you can't get around them, but they are there.

Has your friend tried opening the document on the machine he created it on?

whiteboymike

whiteboymike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Linda

He apparently tried opening it on the machine he created it on without much luck. I've tried using office 2000 myself. I susppect he used a previous version of office 2000 (possibly 1997).

What generally happens when i try to open it is i get a filter which gives e a variety of options and shows a prevew window (none of which alters and makes the text look intelligible) (basially like a repetetion of symbols).