Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Open Office

• Please log in to reply

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
As you may have seen in my previous thread, I uninstalled my free-trial of Microsoft Office 2007 on my new computer so i could install my Microsoft Office 2003. I was doing this because I don't have the money to purchase Office 07 after the trial period.

After I uninstalled Office 07, I realized that the Office 03 discs that I had were only the tutorials, and I don't have the actual discs. Now I have no office on my computer to open my Word documents and my one very important excel spreadsheet.

I have never heard of Open Office before. Is this a free program? Is it safe to download? Will it be easy to transfer my files to this program? Is there a recommended website to safely download it from? Does anybody use this as their permanent Office program?

Thank you and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.openoffice.org/ <--that's their website

open office is an open source alternative to the microsoft office suite...it's 100% free (though i'm sure they've got a donations link somewhere on that site...and couldn't hurt to chip in some cash for the project right?)...it can open all office documents (from office 2003 and earlier...i don't know about office 2007)...you can even save in office formats so that you can send the documents to people who have microsoft office...it's a really handy program suite....some of the stuff takes a bit getting used to...but it's mostly just learning how to navigate just like you did in MS office...

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you. All of my documents are from Office 2003, so it should work fine until I have the money to upgrade. After having to buy a new computer this week, I can't shell out for an expensive program.

Thanks again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think you'll finde open office to work really well for you....like i said...takes a little getting used to...but...it's really functional

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Is the Java program that they recommend downloading with Open Office safe?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
java is not only safe...it tends to be required for alot of websites etc..

dbrodsky

dbrodsky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Everything is downloaded and appears to be running well. Thanks for all the help.