Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with CD drive.

• Please log in to reply

aberhillboy

aberhillboy

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I wonder if anyone can help me. I am having trouble with my CD drive. It is a 48xcdrw/dvd Combo Drive pre installed with my Dell computer.

My drive will only play a CD or DVD in Windows Media Player, but in Media player it will not burn a CD as it says the CD player is empty.

When I try to open any other type of CD they will not open. When I go to run and type in the name of the CD I wish to open it tells me to insert a CD in drive D even though it is already in the drive.

I do not remember having these problems with the CD drive before I installed iTunes for my iPod. I have uninstalled iTunes and rolled back windows media player.

In device manager there is no yellow ? at CD drive.

I hope someone can help me as I am changing my Internet Provider in about 10 days time and I will need to be able to load their CD to make the change.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First things first is go to the Drivers and Downloads part of the Dell website and put your service tag# in and see if there are any specific driver downloads for your CD. Or anything else related such as diagnostics or burning software.

aberhillboy

aberhillboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Tyger

Thank you for your reply. I have gone to the Dell website but there are no updates for the CD driver.

Anything else you can suggest?

Many thanks for your help.