Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Set a Hacker Alarm on Your Web Mail Box

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

1. Head over to OneStatFree.com and register for a free Web counter account. You can list anything for the site URL, and use a disposable e-mail address to complete the registration process (click for tips on using such e-mail accounts).

2. Look for an e-mail from OneStat sent to the address you used when you registered. It will come with an attached file named OneStatScript.txt. Save that file, and note your account number. Then delete the e-mail, which has your account details.

3. Give the .txt file a name that will catch a spy's eye, like "BankPasswords," and make it an .htm file so it opens automatically in a Web browser (and trips the counter).

4. Send the file as an e-mail attachment to the Web mail account that you want to monitor. Use a similarly baited subject line, like "Account log-ins," for the message. Just be sure not to open the file when you send it--you don't want to set off your own alarm.

5. Sit back and wait like the patient spy-catcher you are. If anyone opens your rigged attachment, the hit counter will reflect that fact and will record information about them, including the IP address of the accessing computer. To check the counter stats, just log back in to your account at OneStatFree.com.

http://www.pcworld.c...51/article.html

I have done all the above and I am just waiting to see if anyone trys to access it! :whistling:

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I think a good security policy is better than "bait". That also seems like an awful lot of work to obtain an IP addy. If you do get one, what are you going to do with it? You need more than "my file got opened!" to report someone to the authorities, and then the IP will end up originating from a public computer or Russia. I just don't think there is any merit to the procedure, other than killing time and some weird entertainment.
Johanna

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I can get awfully bored, thats why. I also am curious just to see if it gets opened or not.