Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shared Printing Help (Domain and Workgroup)

• Please log in to reply

ForestTech

ForestTech

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Our office was piggybacking off a network owned by another company in the same building. We just got our own DSL connection today and have changed our workstation IP's from 10.1.1.x to 192.168.1.x and switched off DHCP on the new router to avoid screwing their network.

Everything has gone great, though we are sharing a printer with the other company, which cannot be accessed anymore as it is on the other network, and within a domain (we are just a workgroup). We were able to print to this printer previously, even though we were a workgroup.

Is their an easy way to send print jobs to this printer, or should I get another network card in the XP Pro "server" and configure it to the old settings, and use it as a print server??

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
technically you could use the "server" as a print server without a new nic...

get to teh TCP/IP settins of the nic card on that machine (same place you set the static ip) then click on the "advanced" button...there you can add a secondary IP and gateway...you'll need to set their router as a gateway for it to work if i'm not mistaken

then you can install that printer on that machine...then share it...then connect the rest of the machiens to the printer on the server

ForestTech

ForestTech

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's great. All working.

Thanks heaps for that!!