Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Takes 14 minutes to boot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

jrs9191

jrs9191

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks Keith,

I will post tonight when I try this but probably won't be until about 8pm CST as I'm in Chicago, IL, USA.

Thanks, John

Advertisements

jrs9191

jrs9191

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello Keith,

I have copied the I386 folder to the C drive.

I believe I have located the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" and the entry called SourcePath

I do not know what you mean when you say "It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, you need to change it to C:\ ". In the registry editor under the data portion for this entry it says "c:\windows\" (I have a screen shot of this that I wanted to attach as a file to this reply post but I no longer seem to have the attach file option. Do you know why this is?) When I double click on the entry the window that opens say value data and in the box is "c:\windows\" highlighted.

I will need further instructions to proceed.

Thanks, John

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did sfc /scannow ask for a CD

jrs9191

jrs9191

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, sfc /scannow did ask for a CD. Despite the fact that I forgot to take the XP MCE DVD out of the drive after copying the I386 folder.

Does anybody know why I no longer have the option to attach files to these posts?

Thanks, John

Edited by jrs9191, 10 August 2007 - 08:06 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. It's HP instructions for repairing XP. It offers three options, differeing in the severity of the problem that needs to be fixed.

jrs9191

jrs9191

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks to all who have attempted to help me solve this problem.

Sorry it has been so long since I posted but it was unavoidable.

I went to the link (HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP) provided by "The Skeptic" (thanks for finding this). From the information I got here I was able to create a set of recovery disks for this PC (presumably from the backup partition). I then attempted the sfc /scannow solution suggested previously after changing the SoucePath registry entry back to the way it originally was and using the recovery disk I had created. sfc asks for XP CD2 but when I put in the recovery CD it says I have put in the wrong disk. In creating the recovery disks I wound up with 2 disks. I tried them both. Disk 2 does have the I386 folder on it. I have no clue why this won't work. Any ideas?

Also, I'll ask again; Does anybody know why I no longer have the option to attach files to these posts?

Thanks, John

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Also, I'll ask again; Does anybody know why I no longer have the option to attach files to these posts?

Thanks, John

I've been wondering what the answer to this is myself. Have you checked under Options and are in Standard Mode? I looked through my Control panel and see no where in there where there is an option to toggle attachments on/off. Just to manage attachments. Surely you have not reached the attachment limit have you?

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 14 August 2007 - 08:35 PM.

jrs9191

jrs9191

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ron,

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not reached the limit. In fact I have only ever attached one file to a post (by request of the person helping me) and have since deleted it thinking that might help but no luck. There are times when I would like to attach screen shots to my posts so that someone can see what I see on my screen. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas what the problem is here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, John

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Then you get no way to attach when you click the Add Reply button? Add attachments is available only from this selection or if using Fast Reply, you have to click the More Options button.

Ron

jrs9191

jrs9191

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ron,

Correct. There was no way to attach files. The rectangle that allows you to attach files simply was not there. I had never used the "fast reply" button before so was not familiar with the "more options" button. I say was because my ability to attach files seems to have magically reappeared. Oh well. There's no problem like the one that fixes itself.

John

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I love those problems that fix themselves. LOL Now you can get back to your original problem and I'll butt out.

Ron

jrs9191

jrs9191

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I wish the original problem would fix itself! (I'm not holding my breath)

Thanks, John