Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

rhinojonson

rhinojonson

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My monitor only shows the Windows XP screen when starting up and then goes blank. I had just manually deleted some stuff from my registry before shutting down. Reason is my zone labs scan showed it as a trojan, but would not allow me to delete it using the program. Maybe because I haven't payed for the full version yet. I'm thinking that the two reasons could be that I either accidentally deleted some software for the graphics card or that the graphics card went bad. I know the monitor is not bad, because it still shows the xp screen when loading up and if I turn the monitor off, it shows the graphics saying "monitor off". Any ideas?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Tap the F8 key during boot up and try starting it in safe mode. You will only have low screen resolution but you will at least find out if the operating system is intact. You may just have done something to the graphics card driver installation and need to reinstall the drivers.

If it works in safe mode you can go to Device Manager and uninstall the drivers for the video adapter and it should work with reduced resolution in normal mode. Then you can reinstall the drivers and get it working again.

Edited by Tyger, 01 August 2007 - 08:25 PM.

rhinojonson

rhinojonson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks tyger. Is the video adapter and the graphics card the same thing?