Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bought my first laptop, have no clue what to do

• Please log in to reply

caddles

caddles

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought this and will use it mostly at home (have desktop with verizon dsl) and sometimes outside (work, cafe, train, etc.) Is there a website or link that tells you what you need to buy and why, then guiding you through getting everything setup?

I hear XP is better then Vista, but would like to try it anyways. Is there a guide like this for Vista? If I go back to XP, do I follow most of the stuff in that guide or is it totally different for laptops?

Is it as simple as buying some hardware, then following this guide? I did some googling and read some dummy articles, but didn't find what i'm looking for.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It really depends what you want to do. Your heading says you "have no clue what to do", but can you please give us an exact outcome(s) you would like to achieve? Judging from your post, it looks like you want to setup Vista nice and secure. I believe Vista is better (I will be using it next computer I buy), it's just that a lot of people don't understand how to do things because it's a bit different. To setup Vista securely, you can ask for help in the Vista section of this forum.

It also looks like you want to connect your laptop to a home network. Your laptop already has a wireless card, so if you have a wireless router at home you should be able to connect to this. If you have a router that is not wireless, then you will need to plug it in with a CAT5 or CAT6 cable. Lastly if you only have a single modem (for your desktop) then you would either need to grab a router or setup an internet connection sharing line between the two computers. I've heard the networking section of Vista has been re-written a fair bit since XP, so if you have any questions about this then you can ask in the Networking section of this forum.

Hopefully we'll get you sorted! Cheers :whistling: