Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Login/Logoff Loop

• Please log in to reply

littlecheets

littlecheets

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My current operating system is Windows XP.

I'm having a problem logging into the system. Whenever I do, the system will load for about 5 seconds before logging me off and bringing me back to the welcome screen.

I have tried all the solutions I could find so far, but none have worked and I'm grasping at straws at the moment. I've tried logging in as another user, logging in while in safe mode, and booting from the XP CD and running the Recovery Console. I've copied the userinit.exe file to wsaupdater.exe, but that doesn't work. I've taken the userinit.exe file from another computer and still doesn't work. I've expanded the userinit.ex_ file and of course it didn't work either.

Short of removing my harddrive to get my data and then reformatting the drive, is there anything else I can do?

Advertisements

PenMissile

PenMissile

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Littlecheets,
Were you able to get this resolved? I'm running into the same issue and can't seem to get around it. Thanks!

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Let the system cool off. Last time I saw that, it ended up being a overheating issue with the processor. If you have a cooling pad, give that a try. See if you get different results.. Check to see if the fans are running. If you can get a diagnostic CD for your system, perfect, run it.

PenMissile

PenMissile

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Jack. I let the system cool down for a day, but no love. Have no diagnostic CD at this time...will try that next.