Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with Dos

• Please log in to reply

Compu

Compu

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Guys Im new here. Just registered. This is a cool site. :tazz: Dont knw if this problem has been posted by someone else.

Well, I am using Windows 2000 Professional (v 5.00.2195) with SP 4. The problem is with my DOS. I cant seem to get back to Windows after running a DOS program in Full screen. Everytime I key in exit, all I get is a blank screen. But I knw that Windows runs in the background. The Dos programs work fine. Its just that I cant switch to Windows. And also, I dont have problems closing the DOS window(when its not in FullScreen). I also tried a software called Tame and it still cant solve my problem ;) Is there any more information I need 2 specify? Please ;) :) Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
I'm not sure if this will help, but here goes.

Using win3.1(in the old days), I believe exit would take you back to a command prompt, c:>. Then you would type a command like 'win', to restart windows.

Question: when you type exit, is the next screen completely blank or is there a command prompt shown? If a command prompt is there, then we need to find out the command to restart windows. If the screen is completely blank, I'm not sure what to look at.

Compu

Compu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No typing 'exit' shud quit Dos and switch to Windows. But all I ever get is a blank screen :tazz: By the way, the 'Win' command ur talking is probly the Command Prompt while booiting. But Im talking abt Dos which runs under Windows ;)

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
I agree, 'exit' should take you back to windows. I was hoping it took you back to a command prompt. Too bad. Like stated in my previous post - I'm not sure what to look at regarding the blank screen, sorry.

Compu

Compu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
^^^ Thanks anyway 4 the :tazz: ;)

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
try using the key combo alt+tab and see if it shows your cmd promt window and desktop (you may want to have some windows program open, like a document or web browser to try this). As you hold the alt key and press tab it will alternate selection between those. You can also use task manager (ctrl+alt+del once) and view the applications running. You can easily kill that dos window here. Also, there is an icon in the tray at the far left that will display your windows desktop no matter how many programs you have running (Win2K only). Click that and see if you can get back to the windows desktop.

I am using XP pro and I can close the dos emulator by typing "exit" and hitting enter, or by clicking the x at the top right corner, or by using task manager. Same thing should work in W2K Pro. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
How are you entering the command shell (technically, in windows 2000 and up, it is no longer DOS)

Shortcut?
Start > run "cmd"
Start > run "command"

Compu

Compu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

try using the key combo alt+tab and see if it shows your cmd promt window and desktop (you may want to have some windows program open, like a document or web browser to try this).  As you hold the alt key and press tab it will alternate selection between those.  You can also use task manager (ctrl+alt+del once) and view the applications running.  You can easily kill that dos window here.  Also, there is an icon in the tray at the far left that will display your windows desktop no matter how many programs you have running (Win2K only).  Click that and see if you can get back to the windows desktop.
I am using XP pro and I can close the dos emulator by typing "exit" and hitting enter, or by clicking the x at the top right corner, or by using task manager.  Same thing should  work in W2K Pro. :tazz:

View Post

Well Alt+Tab and Ctrl+Alt+Del doesnt work. Sorry 4 not mentioning it in my post. Also, all these problems happen when I run it in Full Screen. I have no probs when its run in Windowed.

How are you entering the command shell (technically, in windows 2000 and up, it is no longer DOS)
Shortcut?
Start > run "cmd"
Start > run "command"

View Post

Well Command Prompt ;) Not Dos. And it is Start > run "cmd"

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok...

let's try something.

open a command shell
What directory are you in?
type exit
Does it fail or close

Now,
open a command shell
cd to c:\windows\system32
now try exit

same result or different?

Compu

Compu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Did u mean
c:\windows\system32
or
c:\winnt\system32 ???

I have both Win2k and Win98 installed :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
winnt then

Compu

Compu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It doesnt work that way also :tazz:

dgcoder

dgcoder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
press "Ctrl+C" or exit.

dgcoder

dgcoder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi friend!Are you want a switch between fullscreen and normal screen in dos?
use this combination Alt+Enter ,it will work

Compu

Compu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nope. None of these work.