Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard P5PE-VM AND SAMSUNG IDE HDD

• Please log in to reply

Sumit

Sumit

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I upgraded my P3 500Mhz PC to a P4 using ASUS Motherboard P5PE-VM. I upgraded the BIOS from their website to build 1406. The display adaptor is XFX GEFORCE2 MX400 64MB (nvidia). System RAM is 1 GB. CPU is 3 GHz Intel P4 with Hyperthreading.

The Motherboard provides for two IDE and two SATA ports. I have connected one IDE HDD (Samsung 40 GB SP4002H) to the Primary Master IDE connector and one SATA HDD (WD 160 GB) to the SATA port 1. The SATA port 2 is empty. The Secondary IDE slot is connected to two DVD drives in Master-Slave jumper configuration on the same cable (but not Cable Select).

When I switch on the machine from cold, the system would not boot and would come up with the error: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key.

I do a Cntrl+Alt+Del and go in to BIOS to change the device priority to CD and it boots up to Windows.

What could be the issue?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Either hard drive issue or BIOS is going by too fast before the hard drive has spun up ready for probing.

Sumit

Sumit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
What would it mean in effect?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Means most likely the drive could be too slow to spin up properly for the BIOS to see it (or it used to do this okay but has started not being able to see the drive, which would suggest an issue with that hard drive).

Have a look in the BIOS, see if there is any options for hard drive delay (you probably won't see this on newer machines). Failing that, for troubleshooting purposes, look for a "Quick Power-On Self Test" option and set it to Disabled. Save changes and kill the power. Do some test cold boots leaving the computer well alone during POST. If it finds the hard drive every time from a cold boot with Quick Power-On disabled, you may have an issue with that drive.

Edited by Neil Jones, 02 August 2007 - 02:50 PM.