Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc fails memtest

• Please log in to reply

HEENS

HEENS

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
aloha Keith or wannabe1,

i guess its that time to tell you my probs. my hp laptop is acting funny. last time i talked to you all i had a faulty ram stick (1 gig) and replaced it and all was fixed. i noticed in the past months my emails download ok and in good speed but when i try to open them, it takes forever before i get to read them. if i switch to another email, it takes a while just to switch to that email, then it tries to open it.

i happened to remember you telling me in one of the tests i ran a while back with memtest. i decided to run that and it hangs up during a test called random number sequence. it is test number 6, while it tests the 112k-1023Mb of the ram. i took both sticks out, tested it one at a time, again in different slots-one at a time, and it always hangs up at test 6, during the random number sequence.

when it hangs up, i cannot use any keys to get control of the laptop. i have to hold the power button down. i hope u can help. :whistling: :blink:

mahalo!!

heens

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See what results you get with this

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
hi keith
i finally got a cd made and ran the test. it has a series of 6 test that it goes through. on the first pass, it had no problems with all six. it is on the 2nd pass, and it will perform the six tests again.
i read the instructions in this windiag link u sent to me about the results. it said if it passed the first set of tests, it is unlikely the memory is at fault.
is that ytour conclusion as well? i will await your reply and further instructions.

heens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Looking good for the memory, did you see an extended test option, 11 tests?

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
u are sharp keith.. :blink: :help:

there is one that they recommend for overnight and it is 11 tests.. i guess i will run it overnight and write back then??

u are sharp LOL :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Running the extended tests will settle it

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
thx man...i will write when i get up in the morning..u have a nice day..chat soon

aloha!!

HEENS

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
keith,
it froze when performing test 10 called ERAND. when i woke up, i looked at the screen and thought it wasnt moving (the progress bars). so i tried to pause it by pressing "P", and it confirmed that the laptop locked up. so the only way for me to get out of this is to hold down the power key.
i am using another computer as i write this

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try the sticks seperately now on the extended tests

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
ok..will do

Advertisements

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
keith,
it did something weird. i put a single stick of ram in and ran the long test. i came home and saw the laptop was powered off. so i pressed the power button and it started up again, and since i had the cd in--it started the testing again.

i decided to sit here and watch if it would happen again. and it did. it was going right along the first nine tests fine. when it hit test number ten (ERAND), it just shut off..without any warning.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So, fingers crossed the other sticks runs 11, and the first stick is under warranty

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
u read my mind..will start the same testing on other stick now/thx

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
keith,
bad news. the other 1 gig stick had the same result. about 50% into test 10 (ERAND), my laptop just shut down.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get WinAudit

http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

Run it and look for system management - Memory Controllers to post what the memory controller voltage says