Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

pc fails memtest

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Dancing Dolphin invited me to go sailing in your region, so " one day "

This is about the BIOS

http://www.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm

Advertisements

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
keith
for some odd reason, when i took the cd out and rebooted to see how it would work, i noticed it took super long to reboot. i usually wait until all the icons are on the start up page, and when it shows mcafee is loaded, and the internet icons are are visible.'
when i saw it was SUPER SLOW, i looked the the task manager--it was at 100%. so this is something new. before writing to you i decided to make sure it was virus related, so i hope it was okay for me to use spybot, as well as adware se. spybot found 1 thing (tagasarus) and adware se found nothing. i tried to do a mcafee virus scan, and i started 6 hours agao, and it is still not done. (with no items detected as of yet). the scan usually takes 70 minutes for the entire test.

i guess i need help now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does McAfee show a percentage done when it scans?

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
no it does not..it does say it has done over 33k scanned items

Edited by HEENS, 04 August 2007 - 06:20 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Cancel it and try any or all of these

Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

If Trend Micro freezes during updating, close then retry

Kaspersky Online Scan

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
ok keith, i finally got panda to start. it took over a half hour from the time i clicked the link you provided to it the time it started the scan.
i am watching it and using another pc. teh task manager is still at 100%, and at this rate, it has scanned 190 files in three minutes.
i guess you'll hear from me much later, at least 6-8 hours. i cant believe it went to a snails pace.
thx for your help.
heens

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked the temperatures recently?

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
keith,
since i was ready to go to bed, i made use of the idle time by testing the ram sticks again. when i got up, the pc was shut down. before i posted this message, i booted it up and wanted to see what the temp readings were. in the 4-5 minutes it took to get everest to load, the temps were 201 F for the cpu, and 95 F for the seagate.

it still is at 100% on the task manager.

fyi, before i tested the ram, i made sure the bios was reset to default. u think i should test the ram again?

(at least its looking to be a great day here on the big island) :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Temperatures are the problem

Which make and model laptop?

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
it is a hp pavillion dv8000

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Couldn't find anything for temperature, so can you ask them about checking the fan

http://ipgweb.cce.hp...t...ng=en&cc=us

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
keith,
sorry for the long delay. first of all, the support person at HP either has a hard time understanding me or i have hard time understanding him. this has not been the first time--so if u can imagine me trying to just to get info on the fan and how to check it.

which leads me to this: you're not gonna believe it but the pc stopped acting funny when i was trying to explain this to hp support. the task manager is at 1%, and since i had time, i backed up all my important stuff.

so since it is running in fine form, what do i do? is there something that should be checked NOW, now that it is okay?
i checked the temp of the seagate hdd, and currently it is at 109F (43C). task manager still steady at 1% :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Same when you take anything to a repair shop, it stops playing up

Nothing to do but keep an eye on it

HEENS

HEENS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
now why did i think that was the only answer you would have sent.......i guess i will keep u informed the minute it starts to get slow again.

keith, thanks for all your help. and to any of your friends u may have bugged on my behalf. that tropical drink(s) will always be waiting for u here in dreary ole hilo town. have a great day and chat again soon .

heens :whistling: :help: :help: :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's 59F outside, bet you're impressed

`