Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my motherboard or power supply failing?

• Please log in to reply

Mannisenmaki

Mannisenmaki

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an ASUS A7A266 motherboard as part of a system bought in July 2001 so it is pretty old. Over the last 18 months or so my PC has been suffering from this intermittent problem and I have finally decided to do something about it!

Occasionally when I press the on button on my PC the fans will switch on (as will the power light) and the hard drives and CD drives spin up but nothing else happens. The BIOS doesn't make its usual single short beep, the hard drive/CD drive lights don't come on and clearly no power is getting to the video card as the monitor doesn't switch itself on as normal (switching it on manually has no effect as it just goes straight to standby since it is receiving no input from the the PC).

To rectify the problem, I have to power off the PC (by holding down the button for four seconds) and try again. Sometimes it works properly again immediately, other times I have to switch it on and off several times and sometimes I have to come back to the PC after 15 minutes and it will work again.

I should mention that this is a very infrequent problem (maybe only once every six weeks or so) but it is very frustrating when it does happen. The time has come for me to try and fix it as I am worried something on my PC is on the way out.

Is this a sign that my motherboard or power supply unit is failing? That is the only explanation I can think of but would be grateful for some confirmation.

Many thanks,
Nick

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sometimes that can be board or power related but I usually find it to be faulty RAM. Start by checking your RAM for errors.

Click here for a guide to Memtest

Click here to download memtest

In the case that you do find errors then run memtest with a single stick at a time to determine which stick is faulty. Let me know how it turns out.

Mannisenmaki

Mannisenmaki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your response. I ran Memtest for about an hour until it said it had completed 125%. It didn't find any errors? Do you have any advice as to the next thing to check?

Many thanks,
Nick

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The inconsistent Bios boot up may simply be the CMOS battery usually a CR2032 on the motherboard needs replacing.
After 6 years or more it certainly would be close to flat and the cheapest to replace.