Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 pegging CPU

• Please log in to reply

ronharper

ronharper

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an Asus A7n-266 vm/aa motherboard with an AMD Duron 1.3 processor on it that I'm using for my kids computer. I formatted the hard drive, installed Windows XP Pro, and everything was fine. The next thing I did was update to SP2. After doing so, the CPU is pegged at 100% constantly. Checking Task Manager shows that the process hogging all the resources is "SYSTEM." Not "System Idle" but "System."

Things I've tried:
1. Flashed MoBo Bios to most current (1007)
2. Made sure I had all the latest updates from Microsoft
3. Got all the latest drivers for everything
4. Turned off mouse move power up in CMOS (suggestion from asus)
5. turned off all power save features in Windows
6. Shut off Indexing Service for the HDD

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you connected to the internet to update to SP2 it is possible that you got one of the multitude of worms/trojans/virus/etc out there just sniffing and waiting for a vulnerable computer to infect. I would suggest checking your computer for such an infection. Go to the malware section of this formum at http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

Work your way through the sicky post at the top " Pinned: You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
Required steps before posting your log." and "Pinned: Free Antivirus / Antispyware Resources
Use the free links to scan and remove". One good on line scan that I have used (free) is http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Good luck :tazz:

Edited by austin_o, 13 April 2005 - 07:24 AM.