Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELPPPP!

• Please log in to reply

murder

murder

• Pip
  • 7 posts
ok it all started yesterday
i unistalled norton to get macafee trial version
i installed all new macafee stuff and restarted my pc
so then i cant log onto steam it says cant connect to steampowered.com servers
i cant log into xfire cannot connect to server
i cant even connect to a ventrilo server
but i could get online
so i did a system restore to the 31st of july (it was the 1st on aug this happened) and it went all well besisdes the fact i had no sound and it didnt detect my sound device so im like ima just do another system restart to a previous day so i did
and i had sound but
my pc didnt have my gfx card drivers or what ever it needs to read my gfx card so i can use it (i did not have my gfx card installed that day) and i dont have the disc it came with atm
so i did another system restore like a dumby
my sound was not working like before again
and now heres the very bad part that i rly need help with
im like ok ima just live for a few days with out my gfx card working and just use my defult integreated 1
so im like ima just goto system restore and make it go back before i did this last restore (because you can do that if you dont waht your system restored) and i went to it and it wpouldnt come up and i click again on it and it came up as a whitre screen and wont show anything i did it multiple times and waited 10 mins for it to load and all it will show is a plain white screen when i click on the system restore button
also when i goto aim.com/mail it will be white screen too
and when i try to search at ask.com it will be a white screen 2
I NEED HELP
PLZ
i jsutg want to rly BE ABLE TO DO A CANCEL SYSTEM RESTORE TO THE PREVIOUS 1 BUT ITS A WHITE SCREEN!!!! I NEED HELP OR MY DAD WILL KILL ME for messing up my new pc
plz
=(

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got an XP CD

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

murder

murder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
so i restat my pc and tap f8 during start up and open with comd prompt in safe mod
use admin account
type this in cmd prompt %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe ( just loike that)
and can i cancel my last restore or what i do after that in small words

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it opens system restore, click a date then look for a system checkpoint

murder

murder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well thx for ur time but i went to adifferen site and they said type a few .dll file names in "run" and boom it wasnt white anymore

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

Your posting the other workaround would be good

murder

murder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
umm i was wondering if you can help me on how much my pc would be werth no including my cd-rw drive case powersupply and motherbored
heres specs
Manufacturer: MSI
Processor: AMD Sempron™ Processor 2600+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.6GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Hard Drive: 80 GB
Video Card: VisionTek RADEON X1950 Pro XGE
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
Speakers/Headphones: Logitech HeadSet
Keyboard: Aspire
Mouse: PS/2 Compatible Mouse
Mouse Surface: plastic floor
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

All i no is tat my Gfx card is $300 on visiontek.com