Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

first time build

• Please log in to reply

ssimpalalvr69

ssimpalalvr69

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hey, I'm building my first computer. I've got the system up and running just need a DVD burner and OS, waiting on more cash. i would love some constructive criticism at this point. just tell me how im doing, and what upgrades would be good down the line.my components as of now are:

JPAC VooDoo Silver case / 550W psu(came with the case),
XFX nForce 680i SLI motherboard,
EVGA e-GeForce 8600 GT Superclocked graphics card,
Pentium Dual Core processor(1.80 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB),
OCZ 1GB DDR2 memory(SLI Ready 1066MHz),
Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 SATA hard drive,
(keyboard, monitor, and mouse from old system)

further down the line i plan on upgrading to a better SLI compatible PSU and another graphics card, and of course new keyboard, mouse, and monitor, maybe even an audio card. but thats when i feel like droping more money in this thing.
i put this thing together with 580 dollars including shipping, the DVD burner and Windows XP will set me around $680 total, so how am i doing so far, any input is appreciated.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Welcome to geekstogo,
Don't SLI that graphics card, it's not worth the small performance increase(around 40%) over the 100% increase in cost. There is only a point in SLIing high end cards as you can gain an improvement if nothing better exists.
Other then that your doing pretty good.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 August 2007 - 08:49 PM.

ssimpalalvr69

ssimpalalvr69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
what would you consider a high end graphics card, keeping in mind that this is just a new hobby for me and i dont want to spend a lot of money. also is it possible to sli 2 different cars or do they have to be the same?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The cards have to be the same. And a high end Nvidia card would be an 8800 GTS, GTX, Ultra, and a high end ATI card would be 2900 XT, or XTX. And if you don't care about DX10 then I would go for the Radeon 1950 series.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 03 August 2007 - 07:40 PM.

ssimpalalvr69

ssimpalalvr69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
what type of performance can i expect out of this system after installing windows xp home edition. im not a big gamer but i would like to have something that doesnt take for ever to play a game if i want. i tried playing comand and conquer on my laptop but its too [bleep] slow!!! so i havnt even attempted to buy a game with better graphics than that. also whats some good games to get into. i like killing games and racing games.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm not a fan of racing games, but I am of first person shooters.
You'll be hard pressed to find newer games that'll play on that as the processor is slower and first person shooters are usually very demanding when it comes to the CPU. Popular FPS that would work on your computer would be Battle Field 2 modern combat and Battle Field 2142.
James

Edited by james_8970, 03 August 2007 - 09:49 PM.

ssimpalalvr69

ssimpalalvr69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
how far could i push my current cpu by overclocking, if i upgrade the heatsink and fan of course? im also looking into other cooling devices, memory, hard drive and case fans. i would really like to stay away from liquid cooling systems, so what would be some good choices?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't both with hard drive coolers as unless you have a serious airflow problem, your hard drives will be cool enough.
Add as many case fans as possible if you plan on overclocking, this should be enough.
As for aftermarket cooling how much are you willing to spend?
The stock cooler will bring you to around the 2.6-2.8GHz range with acceptable temperatures (acceptable to me is no more then 60*C), I'm thinking but not 100% sure as I havn't overclocked this chip myself. There have been many sucessful overclockes with this chip and if you know what your doing with the proper cooling you'll be able to bring it into the 3.5GHz range if you really want to push it that hard.
James

ssimpalalvr69

ssimpalalvr69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i would like to stay in a reasonable price for cooling i figured 100-150 would be plenty. my case has room for 3 80mm fans and 1 120 mm, what are some good brands? i would also like a good fan for my memory, because i do plan on overclocking. i don't see the point in building a computer if i cant push it to its components limits, i guess that's just the car buff in me talking though. i mean whats the point of building an engine if your not going to build a high horse ground pounder when you can buy a stock one just as cheap as you can build one, and from what i know about building a computer its basically the same. so what would be a good cooler for my memory? also i would like to have some led lights since i have a clear side on my case. thanks for all of the input, its greatly appreciated.