Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP connection help

• Please log in to reply

Wafna

Wafna

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
here's the sit. just moved from Canada to California, tried connecting my desktop computer to the internet already in the apartment, and I'm getting no dice. We're not running off a router, just swapping the ethernet cable back and forth depending on who's home. (with the required modem re-boot when swapping.)

my system seems to be finding the IP easily enough, but can't seem to get fully connected. the error message is "limited or no connectivity" and the details are only that the default gateway isn't there, or DNS...

I'm currently on my roomate's laptop, which connects well enough when the ethernet cable gets swapped back (its not poaching wireless signals from other apartments, it is using the cable to connect to the net) but the desktop doesn't seem to be getting any luck.

I've checked to make sure both my desktop and roomie's laptop are both using the same network settings (the default of mshome) but I suspect that shouldn't matter when only one is plugged in at a time, right? esp. if neither is connecting to the net through the other.

I'm running XP on an athelon 1700xp processor, sitting on a gig of ram; had problems connecting through either the ethernet port or using the USB connection to the modem. (I've been making sure that the ethernet cable isn't plugged in when trying the USB, or vice-versa.) This is the first time I've had problems of this kind when connecting to a new network.

I've exhausted my ideas on what to do, and can't seem to even find anything to help by google searching. any and all suggestions will be appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Try this:

When you connect your laptop to the ethernet cable, open cmd prompt and type in "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes), hit enter.

Unplug the ethernet cable and turn off the modem for about 5 minutes.

Turn the modem back on and connect the ethernet cable.

Go to cmd prompt and type in "ipconfig /renew" (without the quotes), hit enter. If you get a message in cmd prompt that it has timed out, just repeat ipconfig /renew.

This should renew your IP, default Gateway, etc.

Wafna

Wafna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
do you mean for me to try that on the desktop computer, or the laptop? the laptop has no connection problems.

just to be sure; I need to release the ip while the ethernet plug is still attached, THEN unplug, THEN turn off the modem? (let sit for 5 minutes) turn on the modem again, then plug back in and renew the IP?

and if the renew doesn't work the first time, just try it again, or restart the cmd. prompt then renew again?

Wafna

Wafna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
tried the suggestion; no dice.

"an error occured while renewing interface local area connection: an operation was attempted on something that is not a socket."

entering ipconfig again showed that only the entries for "connection specific DNS suffix" and "default gateway" were empty; subnet mask and ip address both had entries.

next step?

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Wafna

Wafna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
took a couple different methods, but the website you suggested is what's letting me post this from my desktop, instead of my roomate's laptop.

thanks muchly for your help, I wouldn't have been able to figure that out on my own.