Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hard drive failure?

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
my husbands computer was beeping when he came home; he shut it off. i turned it on and it makes long beeps ONLY. i listened to the hard drive - it makes a very short effort trying to start then nothing. nothing shows on the monitor. is it the hard drive or the mother board?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
if you use any linux live cd, you will know straight off if it is the harddrive because it boots only to the ram meaning that all will work, if it turns out to be the harddive then try a repair with xp cd but if the harddrive is too far gone it will need replacing

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Computers don't beep due to a hard drive (or lack of). They usually beep because either a) the memory is bad, or b) the graphics card is bad, or c) the CMOS battery is flat.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Thanks Neil. I changed the memory and rebooted. Rec'd this: "during last boot systme hung for improper cpu speed setting. systme now in safe mode." windows attempted to start then restarted itself. chkdsk ran and everything was ok. just to make sure it was the memory (the one i put in I thot was bad), took out and put orginal back in and did get the beeps. put other mem back in and system started ok.

yesterday it was giving him errors about his mcafee (he wasn't specific and didn't write it down). the video display looked like it was in safe mode but wasn't. i tried to do a system restore but that failed due to missing mshtml.dll file. I rebooted and everything was ok and was able to do a restore to last wed before all this started.

this am he said its better but still getting a few mcafee notices (again not written down).

Do you think changing the battery would help or should i swap out the graphics card? we're guessing the system is about 5 -6 yrs old, mine is 8 and have never replaced battery. thanks for ur help