Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don77 sent me over to you to see if you could fix my Windows XP proble

• Please log in to reply

Lmommy

Lmommy

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi,
I have been working with Don77 in the malware forum. He sent me over to you to see if you could fix my windows xp.

Just today:

1st My windows installer does not work I get this error:
Install Shield Engine ( iKernel.exe could not be launched; The RCP server is un___able[unhorable] ( I can’t read my own handwriting) your guess is probably better than mine!

Also has said: Error Box: Windows Installer service could not be accessed!

2nd At startup about when SuperAntiSpyware flashes on. I receive this box:
Can’t run 16-bit Windows Program

3rd Missing a necessary Windows file DDEML.DLL

4th I have not been able to use WinXP Restore.

5th Services errors:

Alerter
Alerter Service on Local computer shows an error 1058: Cannot be started

Application Manager '' error 126: The specified module could not be found.

HidServ
Human Interface Device " error 126: The specified module could not be found.

WudfSvc
Windows Driver Foundation: " error31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

--> When I went to my start up folder I received the notice "Could Not Start Application Management Service on Local Computer"

6th I don't think my Win Search is working. I was set to Auto Updates for Win XP & MS Office; MS Office downloaded a Desktop Search; my computer bogged down so much --- I removed it. Now the original Search doesn't find anything.

7th My DVD player & other peripherals do not auto start -- I have to go into Win Explorer to access them.

8th And my pictures are all showing up with the web icon--I can still see them but, it's on the web page -- weird, Huh?

My Printer is not reinstalling right -- Error Box: HP install Shield Engine Unavailable. When I force it my date said Jan 00-00-00 - beats me??? so uninstalled again!

So I used my dad's windows xp disk to fix because I have a bundled computer[pre-installed], I'm not sure if my dad’s had sp2[I have] or not? It did go in with continued prompting. My desktop looked different[smaller] after restart.

Just a bunch of fun stuff, :whistling:
Lmommy

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
sorry often the more details one is given to read the less clear it gets but eitherway I suggest reformatting with fresh install after backing up what you need, btw just trying a linux live CD to see if the computer parts are funny (meaning that if the system going funny under linux where the live CD does not use your harddrive you will know it is hardware based as opposed to os based) is an idea but eitherway I would suggest starting afresh because it is good practice for the time when the harddrive dies of old age

Let go through this again, what XP are we dealing with and do you have a copy(or can you borrow a copy from someone) of the same type CD(example XPhome english with service pack2) do you have all your drivers(if not use drivermagician 30day trial and just gather them) do you have your xp license number(if not stuck on the computer use magicjellybean to find it out), do you have all the programs too because they will later need to be reinstalled, lastly change the bootsequence to start from cd, and do a full format and refreshly reinstall the system.

if someone else here would like to suggest some other course of action most welcome but I feel that since this has come back form malware a clean break is called for

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
The problem is not that the issues can not be fixed here some of them may be fixable without a reinstall.(In all honesty if a computer can boot into safe mode, it should not have to be reinstalled). But there is a lot of problems. So it might be more time efficient to just reinstall. But if you don't want to reinstall lets hit them one by one. It looks like we have some work ahead.

If you are willing to stick with us and not do a reinstall we may be able to prevent it. It all depends on your timetable.

Lets solve the Windows Installer first because it would be helpful for repairing the other problems.

What is the Link of your HJT log I would like to see what was done?
---------------------------------------------------

1st My windows installer does not work I get this error:
Install Shield Engine ( iKernel.exe could not be launched; The RCP server is un___able[unhorable] ( I can’t read my own handwriting) your guess is probably better than mine!

Also has said: Error Box: Windows Installer service could not be accessed!

As I dig though my Microsoft knowlagebase article list. I know I have fixed this one before. :whistling:

Ah there it is found it. Try going To KB 315346 to troubleshoot your windows installer problems.
----------------------------------------------------
Next lets try a sfc /scannow see how many problems that resolves.

we are going to run System File Checker, to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.

Click Start
Select Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the program, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.
Then rerun the scan. If this still asks you to put in your windows XP CD, and you do not have the CD (If you bought it preinstalled) post back for more tips, otherwise enter Windows CD.

Once the scan is complete:

Check your Windows Updates! After using the File Protection Service, you might need to reapply some updates.

Please reboot, and let me know if anything has changed.

Also, please rehide the protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Check" Hide protected operating system files.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
We are going to try to fix your computer without running system restore, because you came from the malware threads I don't want to undo stuff that was fixed.

What exactly is your problem with system restore?

Edited by tuxmaster, 03 August 2007 - 07:07 AM.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I am running Windows XP sp2 program came bundled with computer & in D:\ drive . I borrowed my Dad’s Windows XP disk when Don had me do something with it. I had to keep accepting it. It was WinXP 2002 just like mine but I could never find out if it was SP2 version or not.

I would really hate to reinstall –I don’t think I have my Office disk. My college kids left home with some of them.

I am sending this while I’m reading the links you sent me…

Here are my links in the Malware forum:
1st 1. START-UP PROBLEMS; SETTINGS PROBLEMS, AFTER DOING STEP BY STEP TUTORI

1st malware link

2nd 2. Error Detected Mozilla, The page at http://drivecleaner.com says:
2nd malware forum link

Thanks for the help,
Lmommy

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I agree with the tuxmaster, no sense going through all of the trouble to uninstall malware to just end up reinstalling. Might as well try to fix the issues if you have the time, heck, we all might learn something! For your first error try this, go to START , then RUN , type in services.msc look for Remote Procedure Call and make sure it is set to Automatic in the startup type column, then right below RPC look for Remote Call Procedure Locator and make sure it is set to manual in the startup type column, if it is set to anything else double click on it and change the setting to manual. See if that fixes the first error.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Remote Call Procedure Locator and make sure it is set to manual in the startup type column, if it is set to anything else double click on it and change the setting to manual. See if that fixes the first error.

I was doing the

"Error 1719: The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to add or remove a program

getting ready to go to safe mode when your message came in -- So I went & changed from Auto - Manuel --Should I stop the service or leave it started?

Thanks Lmommy

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Just leave it started and reboot your computer.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok --
sfc /scannow

results -- insert your windows CD -- I used an older one upgrade XP Home Ed.

recieved a Box: Windows file protection
Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache

in my step by step instructions above: I am stumped :whistling:
start-->run-->cmd
C:\ Windows\system 32\cmd.exe
Microsoft Windows XP[version5.1.260]
C:\Documents & settings\owner>

It's telling me to do these things--scary :help:
Method 2: Reinstall the Windows Installer
To reinstall the Windows Installer, rename the damaged Windows Installer files, and then reinstall the Windows Installer. To do so: 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER, where Drive is the drive where Windows is installed and where %Windir% is the folder where Windows is installed:
attrib -r -s -h drive:\%Windir%\system32\dllcache
For example, type
attrib -r -s -h c:\windows\system32\dllcache
Note If you are using Windows 98, type system instead of system32.
4. At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after each line:
ren msi.dll msi.old
ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old
ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old
5. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
6. Restart your computer.
7. Update the Windows Installer files on your hard disk to the latest version. Windows Installer 2.0 is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center. • For Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Windows 98:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
• For Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0:
http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en
• For Windows XP: For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
893803 Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) is available

For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
8. Shut down your computer, and then restart it in standard mode.

So Sorry to be so confusing My young daughter[9] broke her pinky finger & had to go get it x-rayed & She now has a cast on it. :blink: Busy day :help:
Thanks so much for your help!
Lmommy

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Here is ,hopefully, easier instructions for method 2, assuming your windows is installed on drive C, which there really is no reason why it should not be.
Go to START then RUN type in cmd and hit OKAY, then at the command prompt type in attrib -r -s -h c:\windows\system32\dllcache then hit ENTER then type in ren msi.dll msi.old and hit enter then type in ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old and hit enter then type in ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old and hit enter. Then type in exit and hit enter. Then reboot your computer. Then follow this LINK to download Windows Installer 3.1.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

C:\Documents & settings\owner>

It is not just a plain comand prompt.
Do I type attrib -r -s -h c:\windows\system32\dllcache after the Doc &set.... or try & get a blank prompt? Sorry for my ignorance :whistling:

But Much Thanks For Your Help,
Lmommy

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Yeah, you type it in at the end of owner. And don't be sorry, this is one of the best ways to learn. :whistling:

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
whoops! double post :whistling:

Edited by cmw2010, 03 August 2007 - 10:36 PM.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
ok the 1st one did alright ---
the 2nd one after I typed it in & hit enter gave me this:
The system cannot find the file specified

What now??? The dos prompt box is still open--didn't want to close it with it not going through.

Lmommy

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Did you type it in correctly? Try to copy and paste it into the command prompt.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I don't know if you can access this but it is a screen shot of dos box

http://i186.photobuc...ommy/Doscmd.jpg

Still said: The system cannot find the file specified
Lmommy