Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don77 sent me over to you to see if you could fix my Windows XP proble

• Please log in to reply

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Ok, my bad, I am getting tired! Before you put in the rename commands type in cd C:\windows\system32

Advertisements

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Great! It worked :whistling:
By the way could you access the link?
I will continue to go & download Windows Installer 3.1. any advice for after I install it.
Sounds like your pillow is calling.....
Much Thanks,
Lmommy

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Yes, I could access your link, as soon as i saw it, the problem jumped right out at me. Hopefully reinstalling WindowsInstaller 3.1 will take care of some of your problems. I will stop back tomorrow and see if we can continue with your next issue. Good Night, I hope this works for you! :whistling:

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks & Goodnight!
Lmommy

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok Guys,
I woke up with an idea -- see what sleep can do? :whistling: Well my idea was this -- can I pull the files I need from my partioned recovery drive [d:] ? I've made screen shots for you to see if I can use them or not.
link1

link2

link 3

link 4

Thanks for helping,
Lmommy

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I don't have a lot of time, I just popped in to see if anything worked so far. Are you still getting the first error about the Windows Installer or has that been cleared up?

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I tried to install my printer last night & still couldn't. It seems like with the things I did it went back to an earlier time because & am now getting a Windows can not find c:\ HPOJTPRO\ONLINEREG\REMIND.EXE

I had that coming up during my malware problems. I have noticed a greatly improved speed on load up. I took me back--I can get used to that! :whistling:
Thanks for anytime you can give me!
Lmommy

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
That sounds like an online registration reminder popup. Did you uninstall any HP printer software and then try to reinstall the printer? I am going to have to leave for a little while I will check back as soon as I get a couple of minutes. Good Luck!! :whistling:

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
cmw2010,
Yes I have been trying to install my HP printers [any- all of 3] since my 1st trojan. I guess that is my main need right now.

Life, how it gets in the way of computer problems :whistling: I'll be on all day drop in when you can & THANKS for you time!
Lmommy

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
First thing that we wanted to get taken care of is the windows installer.

Did you follow the instructions in that link I gave you. Or is it working now. You will not be able to fix a lot of the other problems until that is fixed.

That is why I did not give instructions for the other posts.

Did you sucessfuly run the sfc /scannow?

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I am back for a little while! :whistling: Have you ever had this or any other printer installed on this computer?

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes I had the HP printer installed whe I got infected & had to uninstall it -- it was going crazy.

I will reput in my disk & see exactly what it says -- but, the sfc /scannow took 2-3hrs last night. & I don't think it is fixed. It constantly asked me for WinXP disk.

That is why I wondered if I could pull files from D: drive
Thanks for all the Help,
Lmommy

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Did you get the windows installer fixed?

You would not get asked for the windowsXP disk if you put in the disk before you run the sfc /scannow.

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
No I don't think it's fixed.

pop up box when I tried to install printer:

Windows Installer
Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed contact your support personnel for assistance.

Help Please!
Lmommy

Lmommy

Lmommy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

You would not get asked for the windowsXP disk if you put in the disk before you run the sfc /scannow.

I don't know if I put it in at the very begining. Yhe other irritating problem is that my cd /dvd drive does not auto start anymore -- have to go to my computer to start now.

but, everytime I have ran sfc /scannow I have had to keep hitting retry -- I tried cancle & it REALLY freeked!

Box: Windows file protection
Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache

Insert your Windows XP home Edition CD-rom now

Lmommy