Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my gfx card

• Please log in to reply

Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
So the Graphics card that came with my computer came with when we bought it is an Nvidea GeForce 6150

Don't get me wrong, but this isnt a bad card. It can run Source Fairly Smooth, but most new games, like CnC 3, Black & White 2, and other games need to have very low graphics turned on them.

My slot is a PCI Express and I have my eye on a Nvidea GeForce 8600 GT OC on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127286

the problem is, that I have been getting mixed advice from my friends and family about if I should get it or not. (Whether or not my computer can handle it)

So I thought I would ask here and see what you guys think.

Here are my Comp Specs:

Manufacturer: Compaq Desktop PC
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 446MB RAM
Hard Drive: 200gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

Any advice guys?

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
How old is your computer? And I might get some more RAM before upgrading. 1/2GB is a little low and adding more ram would definitely make your games look better and not a glitchy. I haven't played those games you mentioned but most newer games I play recommend 2GBs to play the game smoothly. And to play the new DirectX 10 games that are coming out they say that the games will recommend 3GBs of RAM. Also I am not too failure with AMD processors looking at it on one of my charts it looks to be ok but I was wondering if it was a dual core processor?

Also the 8600 is not all that good for gaming. It was designed more for PCs that are used for just movies. If you plan on playing games I would suggest the 8800GTS or if you are really tight on money maybe get more performance for less money from the 7 series. Again if your computer is newer like 1-3 years old and plan on keeping it I would go with the 8800. I know the 8600GT seems cheep (~$120) but for gaming I just keep on hearing people that were disappointed with it. You may be able to get away with the 8600GTS if you are tight on money.

So to recap:
1.) How old is your computer?

If computer is newer 1-3 years
2.) add RAM
3.) See if more RAM is enough for you
4.) get a better card if needed (tight on money get 8600GTS or 7 series or if able to buy the 8800GTS get it, it is well worth it.)

Any questions?

PS: Almost forgot. If you have a budget and know how much you are willing to spend, here is a guide:
http://www.tomshardw..._for_the_money/

Edited by jackflash1991, 08 August 2007 - 08:22 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't get a DX10 card for gaming purposes that is below the 8800 series or the HD2900XT, it's just not worth it. Buying a high end DX9 card will give you better performance for your dollar.
Also please note, DX10 doesn't work on XP, only vista.
For gaming purposes the video card has to go before a RAM upgrade is considered.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 August 2007 - 12:40 AM.