Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why is desktop saying low voltage?

• Please log in to reply

rowboat

rowboat

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello

My moms pc is running xp and is approx five or so years old, its suddenly saying "low voltage" on start up homescreen?? (Ive googled and researched online to no avail)

Her desktop screen is faded in color and she can go online but again faded.

She is plugged into a newer power surge strip as is dial up phone line.

They do have storms a lot, could it be the power strip? Could it be muting voltage?

Would the pc tell her this..the low voltage warning if it was that?

I could only get avg to run on system and her installed firewall w/ xp.

Only other issue w/ her pc is it freq says virtual memory full (prob a seperate issue tho but I mention it just incase), I did what I learned online for it and it still does it thats mostly why I installed avg and deleted uness stuff.

Any help appreciated :whistling: Im not super techno knowledgable and she is out of state.

She knows way less then I do.

Thanks again!!

Edited by rowboat, 03 August 2007 - 12:20 AM.

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Is this a Dell computer? If so this is a warning that your CMOS battery is wearing out and needs replaced. They are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

rowboat

rowboat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Actually its a compaq, but is this possible in compaq?? She is seeing a bubble pop up fast that says click this to darken screen or somthing?

Her clock is fine tho" is this an indicator its not that?

How easy is it, do I need to let a tech repair do it whats a fair price?

I called a repair shop they said a new power supply (I think it was) will fix it like forty bucks and twenty for the labor) is this possible?

Thanks!! :whistling:

Edited by rowboat, 04 August 2007 - 03:10 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Download Everest Home Edition on your Mom's PC and have her check to see what the voltages and temps are before buying a new power supply. If a new power supply is absolutely necessary, try to get one in a higher rated size. These are cheap enough from many sources to be worthwhile.

The dimness may be a monitor setting (contrast/brightness) which has been changed and forgotten about.

Replacement of a CMOS battery in a 5 year old PC would be a recommendation at any rate regardless of whether clock setting is correct. It is easy to replace and there are directions on the Internet for doing so. Certain precautions should be followed when making a CMOS battery change.

Another problem with a 5 year old PC is it may be clogged up with dust and dirt. The heatsink on the processor may be clogged causing higher than normal temps. Replacement of the thermal compound between the heatsink and processor as well as cleaning the inside properly should be done by someone technically incline. Static electricity can mess up motherboards and other cards, so most people don't feel comfortable going inside their own PC.

Ron