Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Backup Disc

• Please log in to reply

Extract

Extract

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Is it wrong for me to burn a copy of my friends XP Disc. We both have the same versions accept my PC did not come with a XP CD, it was pre-installed. Now I'm Stuck whenever I want to reformat or recover. I thought this would be the way since he's not selling me the CD. Yet, I've heard a lot of talk around where some say it's perfectly legal and others say it's illeagle. If it is illegal are there any alternatives? Thanks for the replys in advance.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
As long as you use your own product code you are fine

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
the devil is in the details, first off, a restore disk can often be just a key that opens a hidden image of the system store somewhere on the drive meaning that the two computer may look the same but yours might not have it. also when one restores using a restore disk there is often the later problem of removing all the bloatware that one does not want, which can be a lot of work, also if it is not a laptop we are talking about something that you might change the parts only to find that the restore disk won't then work

what am I saying by the above, simply that it is better to have the ability to and the tools needed too to be able to reinstall the machine from zero rather than depending of a restore disk, the question being "if my harddrive were to die on me today could I replace it and reinstall the system exactly how I want from my backup plan"