Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FDD and BIOS problem

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi,

My computer has:

- Biostar TFORCE 6100-939 mobo
- SATA
- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz / 512KB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Venice / Hyper-Transport / OEM / Socket 939 / Processor
- 2x1G twin sticks RAM
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB hdd
- Windows XP Pro X64

I just installed a new FDD. It works fine and it's recognized by My Computer but it's not shown in Disk Management. Is this normal?

The reason I'm asking is because I have an update for my BIOS. I don't understand it too much but I have a built in BIOS flashing option. I downloaded the update to a floppy, rebooted my computer with the floppy still in the drive and went into CMOS to enable the floppy (I had it turned off because X64 in my pc needs a floppy or I have to press F1 whenever I boot up). I also changed the order of the boot sequence so that the FDD is first, my DVD drive is second and my hdd is third. When I tried to use the built-in BIOS flash, it couldn't do it. I received an error message that said it failed but it didn't give a reason. I tried this 3 times but got the same results.

When I booted up my computer without the floppy in the drive, it said "Boot from CD:" which it did before I installed the floppy and changed the boot sequence, and it booted up. I don't know why this is happening.

Can someone help me out?

Denise

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Floppies don't show up in Disk Management by design, because Disk Management is designed for use on extensive sized disks and (with Vista) splitting them too. As floppies only hold 1.4Mb anyway, its pointless having the ability to partition a floppy disk.

As to the issue of being unable to boot off floppy, you need a bootable floppy first before the computer can boot from it. You can tell the computer to do this by checking the "Make an MS-DOS boot disk" option when formatting a floppy. Once you've done that, copy your update to the disk and the computer should be able to boot from it.

Edited by Neil Jones, 03 August 2007 - 02:50 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Thanks Neil . . . that did the trick! The update installed without a hitch :) :blink: :whistling: :help: :help: