Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Won't Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

GlobalNomads

GlobalNomads

• Pip
  • 9 posts
We are running WXP (service pk 2) on a Dell Ispiron 9100 laptop. Clicking the shutdown button starts the process and then when the screen goes to blue with the words "windows is shutting down"...nothing happens. The hd led stops flashing and the computer never shuts down. No other known problems at this time....everything else seems to be fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is anything connected by USB when it won't close

GlobalNomads

GlobalNomads

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith,

No...no other connections...

There is a glitch I forgot about...this comp had been offline for about a year until a few weeks ago. While everything seems to be Ok...if I try to go to the Windows Update site it will lock up. I can go to the main MS Windows download site...but when I try updates it puts up the "waiting" icon and never loads the page. Any chance these two are related?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have seen some printers stop a PC

If you haven't updated in an while, this page should want to install new update software, so see how it goes

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Another possibility

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending.

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

GlobalNomads

GlobalNomads

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the info....so far nothing has changed.

I downloaded hive and it is installed but still no change. As I mentioned above, I can access all of MS Download sites with the exception of "Updates"...when I try it acts like it is going to the page but it stalls and goes nowhere.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft Update is different and as the laptop hasn't been updated recently it should install updates for the site itself at least

It should also give you an error code