Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems | Latitude D400

• Please log in to reply

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hi there,

One of my relatives works in a large international company, and he gets (obviously) a laptop from work, which he also uses for private surfing. Now the problem is that he's on a long vacation, and he can't really bring it to Tech Support right now, but he does want to use it for his personal needs.

So the problem as follows: It's a Dell Latitude D400, which has been replaced for him not a long ago (replaced as in totally replaced, new harddrive, etc). It was working perfectly until today. It has to be mentioned that the laptop was on a long flight and might have been hit accidentally (although it's not really possible, since it was hand baggage and on Business Class). When the laptop boots up, it goes through the Dell screen as usual, along with a Hard Drive Encryption (Pointsec) Password Check. However, when it gets to XP boot, the hard drive access light is not flashing -- it's lit all the time! It doesn't manage to boot to XP Normal Mode and XP Safe Mode doesn't work either.

Our initial speculation was that a RAM stick was disconnected somehow and the computer tries to access the Paging File on the hard drive. However, I've checked the memory in the BIOS and it shows up as 512 @ 266, so that aspect is OK. The hard drive doesn't make any noise (it's practically new, as I said), and it's safe to exclude a malware issue -- the computer is secured by multiple programs and nothing dangerous has been downloaded to it, nor it accessed dangerous websites.

If anyone has any suggestion on what to do I'll be grateful :whistling:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, just some questions,
- is safemode possible
- is repair with XPcd possible
- is there a restore point to return to
- does it do the same thing if one takes out the battery(no idea why that works at times)
- does it boot normally on any linux live CD, pinpointing os or harddrive as the problem

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hello,

I've answered some questions you posed, but I will reply nevertheless. I'll also add that sometimes it does manage to boot.

1. No.
2. Company PC, they don't have a restore CD and I can't use mine.
3. I can try, if I manage to reach System Restore.
4. Yes, the battery is having problems so we took it out, with or without it the problem persists.
5. I'll try it out if it's possible, I'm not sure I'll be able to.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
number 3 is not system restore, repair with XPcd can be anybody's copy as long as it is the same flavor, example xp home service pack 2 needs just that, and also one has to change the boot sequence to start from cdrom.
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I don't know, it's a company laptop... We prefer it to be something that doesn't mess around with the XP setup. He has a Dell XP and I have an ordinary one...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hard to solve this one without it mending the system, the repair as pointed out in the link does not mean you lose any data, it only checks and restores microsoft's system folders only. perhaps someone else here as some idea on this, I pass