Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote Desktop on WinXP Home

• Please log in to reply

Elyts

Elyts

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
You guys helped me last time I had a problem with the VPN at my work, so I was hoping you might be able to help me this time too.

I've gathered from reading several other topics that Windows Remote Desktop Connection can't be run from Windows XP Home edition. I also read on one of the topics that it's possible to download a version which will work on XP Home, so if anyone can point me in the direction of it, that would be great, because I searched Microsoft's website and couldn't find it.

Barring that, I would like to find some reliable software to enable me to access my work computer. Preferably software that I can download only on my home computer, because I would rather not clog up my computer at work any more than necessary.
I tried RealVNC, but I wasn't able to connect the two computers. It was very unclear how it was supposed to work.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, Service pack 2, Version 2000 on my computer at home, and at work, Windows XP Professional, SP2.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Remote Desktop does not work (officially) in XP Home, though you can apparently install it from an XP Pro CD and I am led to believe that it does work though I haven't tried this myself.

However: You cannot connect to someone via Remote Desktop with XP Home if you have XP Pro.
You can access a Windows XP Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a Terminal Services client (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP Home). XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.

Therefore you need alternate software such as PcAnywhere, for example, which will do the same job regardless of your flavour of XP.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can download LogMeIn from here. It's free and the easiest to install and operate among this type of programs.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You can try either doing a Reverse VNC using RealVNC, you actually connect to the host computer from the client or use something like Crossloop. Its free and extremely easy to use, www.crossloop.com

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Eh, RDP works fine with Home Edition. My wife has it on her PC and I can access it without a problem.
:whistling:

I have found though that it appears that printers that are local on the Hone Edition PC is not recognized when accessing a 2003 Server system. The 2K3 Server doesn't recognize the local printer.

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Eh, RDP works fine with Home Edition. My wife has it on her PC and I can access it without a problem.

I have found though that it appears that printers that are local on the Hone Edition PC is not recognized when accessing a 2003 Server system. The 2K3 Server doesn't recognize the local printer.

Is this when the computer being connected to is Home Edition? Or the computer she's using to connect. The computer I'm trying to connect with is the one that appears to be the problem, the one with Home Edition.
Also, are both computers in your case Home Edition?

onedoller

onedoller

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I would difnetly reccomend logmein, I have used it many times and it works great.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Is this when the computer being connected to is Home Edition? Or the computer she's using to connect. The computer I'm trying to connect with is the one that appears to be the problem, the one with Home Edition.

I can connect to her system with mine (XP Pro) and I have connected to mine with hers (XP Home).
Posted Image

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I can connect to her system with mine (XP Pro) and I have connected to mine with hers (XP Home).
Posted Image

Do you have any other suggestions why I might not be able to connect from home to work?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Do you have any other suggestions why I might not be able to connect from home to work?

Eh... well, short of checking the firewall settings and the port forwarding I don't know.

I would make sure that you have a valid incoming port open for your RDP and that it points to the proper IP address. If you have more than one system that is accessible via RDP at work then you have to setup an alternate port and have that port point to port 3389.

For example, PC1 is at 192.168.1.100 and PC2 is at 192.168.1.101. You have port forwarding enabled so that any request that comes in that does NOT specify a specific port goes to PC1 (so if I type in yourdomain.com in RDP it goes to PC1).

You then setup a allow incoming port for port 3386 (or whatever you want). Then setup setup a port forward to forward a request for 3386 to 3389 and to go to IP 192.168.1.101.

RDP does indeed work with XP Home Edition though, on a LAN and across the internet.

Elyts

Elyts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you all for the help... I'm still not entirely sure how, but I managed to get it working! I can now connect from home to work without having had to upgrade to XP Pro or anything drastic like that. :blink: :whistling: