Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automated Folder Compression with WinZip

• Please log in to reply

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I have a folder that I need to compress (using WinZip or possibly RAR) the contents of daily, name it appropriately so that it is different from the day prior, and then copy it over to my external backup drive for safe-keeping.

Is there a Windows XP Pro script, third-party app, or some other way to achieve this?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Winzip has a command line interface that can be used for what you're wanting....i THINK it may require winzip pro though

http://www.memecode....ocs/winzip.html command list

you would write a batch file that zips the file (probably using the system variable %date% to name the file with the current date...though this sometimes requires changing your PC's date format) then copies the zipped file over to your other drive

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Hmm... I was hoping there was a way outside of the command line since I don't have the Pro version of WinZip (I still use WinZip 9 because I registered it)... I do however have a registered copy of PKZIP from way back in my BBS days... wonder if I could accomplish the same thing with it?

Hmmm...

I'm holding out hope for possibly a VBScript or something that can do this in the GUI.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
AHA!...i thought it had one... http://www.7-zip.org/ 7-zip is 100% free (better than winzip or winrar) and can do command line compression

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I'll have to give that a go and see if it will do what I need...
Thanks! :whistling: