Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Upgrade Advice

• Please log in to reply

BenB864

BenB864

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I need to buy a new processor for my computer. I had a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ San Diego CPU (single core), when it died last week, I am looking to buy a new CPU and i wanted to make sure that a Dual Core chip would be compatible with my system. Would my MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum with a 939 socket be able to use http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103053 this chip.

Basically I am asking as long as you get the same socket type will a chip work whether it be dual core or not?

And if anyone has a suggestion on a socket 939 CPU i should get please let me know.

Thanks

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
You can use any 939 pin CPU in your motherboard.
I changed from the 3500+ to the 4200X2 and am happy with its performance.
The 939 pin X2 CPUs went up to 4800+ before the AM2 (940 pin) came out.
You could also check out the 939 Opteron range as well, :whistling:

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
The MSI website does not list that processor on the compatible processor list. So unless HaraldR is using the exact same motherboard I would email MSI tech support before you purchase this processor.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
The MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum is the same as the MSI K8N Neo 4 Diamond.
I have built systems using both boards and upgraded both to AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Processors

At the time that the K8N Neo 4 was manufactured the x2s were not available however they work fine in both the Platinum and Diamond boards

If you check with AMD you will find the AMD Athlon™ 64 4200+ X2 (Socket 939) recommended compatibilty lists your K8N Neo 4 Platinum(MS-7125) Motherboard

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I stand corrected, on the main product page at MSI for that motherboard, that cpu is not listed as compatible. But digging further into the archives it does show support for the processor mentioned.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the advice, it looks like the Opteron CPUs are the best line for the 939 socket so i think ill look into those probably http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103002 , the only thing is that on newegg it says they are server cpus, could someone explain the difference.