Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Serious problems with newly built PC

  • Please log in to reply



    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'll do a direct timeline of events that have occurred since I began building my computer yesterday, as there are several serious problems going on that I do not really understand. All of the parts I am using for this computer are shown at the bottom of the post.

Yesterday Afternoon: Computer parts got here, started building my computer. Finished with no issues except that I wasn't quite sure if the CPU heatsink/fan was on correctly.

Once finished, I took the computer and monitor downstairs, and plugged it in. It seemed to work fine. I put the Windows XP disc in, installed, and was copying program files including Service Pack 2 over from an iPod to my hard drive. In the middle of this, the iPod and computer froze, and from then on this installation of XP began acting odd. I decided since I wasn't far into the installation, that something must have gotten corrupted and I reformatted.

This time, I got everything installed and copied over fine, connected to the internet and began downloading Windows Updates. At this point, I had begun to notice that the hard drive was louder and made more annoying noises than any I had ever had before. I figured it was just how this brand was, as I had always used Western Digital's before. Anyway, once I had those Windows Updates, a firewall, and an Antivirus program installed, I installed World of Warcraft and began playing. I had only been playing for about 30 minutes when the sound began repeating and it went to a BSOD, saying "Memory_Management", and at the bottom of the screen saying "Beginning physical memory dump".

I started to worry, but restarted the computer and it seemed to restart fine so I went to bed, intending to fix the problem tomorrow (today). I woke up this morning and began playing World of Warcraft again. Within an hour, I got another BSOD, saying the same thing. I started to google the error, and found many things that were not helpful, but I did find one link saying that it could possibly be your CPU memory cache. This made me remember that I had been a bit nervous about my installation of the CPU heatsink. I downloaded a temperature monitor, began running a game to gauge it, and sure enough, it was at a scalding 85 degrees celcius. I quickly turned the computer off and moved to another computer in the house, found instructions on how to correctly install the heatsink, and did so.

I restarted my computer, and checked the idle temp. 30C, quite normal. I loaded up a game and it was still only at 40C. I THINK I fixed that problem. I played for awhile, and was convinced I had fixed all my problems, when I got another BSOD, this time saying "Kernel_stack_inpage_error", again saying at the bottom "Beginning physical memory dump". I was kind of angry that I was having so many problems, and when I restarted the computer, it would not go past the motherboard brand screen. I shut down the computer and went to another computer to look up a solution to this BSOD. It said to first run a complete virus scan, then run a Chckdisk to locate any errors or anything. I did both of these and there were no viruses, and Chckdisk seemed to go all right, if a little slow, and it didn't report any errors. I didn't know what to do, so I again tried to play my game. Within 5 minutes I got another Kernel BSOD, and again it wouldn't boot past the motherboard brand screen, so I shut it off. I switched the SATA cable, and plugged it into a different space on the motherboard. I switched the two sticks of ram to the other two slots. I was intending to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to see if my RAM was faulty, but I loaded up Windows and shortly after got another BSOD, this time another "Memory_Management" one. This was about a half hour ago, and my computer has been off since then, except about 5 minutes ago when I tried to boot it and it wouldn't go past the motherboard brand screen.

That's everything that's happened, and I really do not know what to do. I don't know if the fault lies with the RAM or the hard drive, and I am just at a loss. I would really like to fix this soon, so if anyone has any advice or things to try, please say them. Thanks for any help.

Parts list:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Video Card: XFX Gefore 8600GT
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 250gb SATA

Edited by Zacmaniac, 03 August 2007 - 09:30 PM.

  • 0


Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP