Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attempted to install incompatible wireless desktop

• Please log in to reply

scubab

scubab

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently purchased a new desktop with Vista on it and I attempted to install my wireless keyboard and mouse from my previous (XP) computer.

After installation I was prompted that it has not been tested with Vista, but I stupidly chose to proceed anyway. After installing the wireless set I rebooted my computer and now that I'm at the login screen (PW required) and I can't do anything. I'm stuck using my old computer now.

My wireless mouse is nowhere to be found and my wireless keyboard syncs with the wireless hub, but not my computer. My USB keyboard and mouse do not respond at all.

I've tried:
-Powering on and off my computer using the power button on the tower, since I can't use my mouse or keyboard to power down properly
-Different batteries
-Syncing the wireless keyboard with the hub many times
-Powering down PC and unplugging the wireless hub and USB keyboard and mouse and replugging in all but the wireless hub
-Using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse, but my computer doesn't have a PS/2 port
-Cussing at my computer as well as at myself :whistling:
-Talking to GeekSquad. They told me the only thing they could think of would be using a PS/2 port, which is what I've been told by everyone else

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your (hopefully) quick response!

Advertisements