Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help !

• Please log in to reply

kdp1997

kdp1997

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
This morning, all was well. All I did was a simple BCWIPE of my free space as I did a million times to help maximize my HD space. I come home, reboot the PC, and the black animated XP startup screen comes on, and then POOF,,,the screen goes to the choices for safe mode, safe with network, and last known good settings,,,telling me that something prevented the PC from starting up.

After choosing safe mode, it goes back to the choice screen again,
and if I choose best known settings which last worked, or start windows normally,,the screen tries to start up, but then stays black and blank!!

What the heck did I do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503

kdp1997

kdp1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
cant make a boot disk. Other than my regular PC laptop, I have a toshiba sattellite m115, and it does not have a floppy drive. What can I do?? I can't format a dvd or cd disk to become a boot disk. Any suggestions??

Thanks again.

Edited by kdp1997, 04 August 2007 - 12:06 AM.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Do you have a Windows XP CD? (Not a recovery CD.)

Edited by ClickRight, 04 August 2007 - 12:52 AM.

kdp1997

kdp1997

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No, lost it a long time ago. Should I GET ONE any way that I can? I have regular XP, does it matter if the disk is a Pro, home or regular edition. If I get the XP CD, what do I need to do once i have it? If I can get to use a computer tommorow in another house to make a floppy, what do I need to do?

--just make a boot disk?

--or are there other files that i need to make sure that I have on this floppy drive?

--Are any files needed to be created on a CD together with the floppy?

********* I am sorry for all the questions, it's just that i am desperate to get this thing working again. Thank you all for any help you give me*******

Edited by kdp1997, 04 August 2007 - 01:13 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I understand you said you could not get into the usual safemode but what about safemode with command prompt, since system restore might be option then. If not then a repair with XPcd borrowed from a friend is called for, links for more details here

restore form command prompt,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
or repair with xp cd,
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Edited by fleamailman, 04 August 2007 - 01:37 AM.