Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to learn how to use FTP

• Please log in to reply

mellow1

mellow1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
A while back I started running into FTP files.It took a while to figure out that I needed a special program to be able to do it.I got Fire FTP through Firefox,as well as Core FTP Pro from another source.The problem is I have no clue as how to use them.I don't know if these files need anything else in order to use them.If I have to set up a special folder.Or anything else.
I would appreciate any help,or links, which will help me learn how to do this.I do know it stands for File Transfer Protocol.There are many interesting files available using FTP.I am also hoping that this type of file download will help with the slow internet connection that I have.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
FTP is a method by which you put items (pictures, web pages and other files) on a web server somewhere for other people to download.
It also works the other way where you can log into a public FTP server (providing its owner has allowed permission) and download files from it.
The majority of files you download from the internet are coming from a web server that has been populated by somebody via use of an FTP server so you use them all the time but you don't notice it anyway. :whistling:

FTP download is usually superior to download through the normal means, but if you have a poor connection anyway you probably won't notice any difference download-wise.

mellow1

mellow1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your reply Neil Jones.
Do you have any suggestions as to where I can find info on how to do it .Or is it just play around with it,the best way to go?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
http://www.ftpplanet...rces/basics.htm might be useful to you :whistling: