Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp pro just shows backgound but won't show icons

• Please log in to reply

piano0011

piano0011

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok... I will try to make this as clear as possible as this is a weird problem. I downloaded something the other day and all of a sudden, my system crashed... I tried to recover the windows by using windows xp CD but once completed, it does the same thing and just hanged there with the message activate windows code now or later? I click on now and it just logged me off. I tried to log in again and once again ask me to activate my windows... This cycle keeps going over and over again..

I then went into msdos and run CHKDSK and it just froze on 50% completed... sounds bad? I hope someone could help me with this mysterious problem.... Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you run the PC at all

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I had the same problem about 5 months ago and it kept looping McAfee and it wouldn't show anything except my desktop pic. I had Windows XP Home and my dad looked through almost every file here was and couldn't find what was wrong. It then shutted off my sound and my networks so I couldn't do anything to help me fix the issue. I then had to do a clean install of XP and now it's working a-ok but then I had to find the right graphic card, sound card, and network drives. It was seriously messed up but it could connect to the internet using the Windows XP connections but I couldn't go to I.E. it would just say that it couldn't find the page. Sounds like you need a fresh install.

Edited by FCCAGut, 04 August 2007 - 11:02 AM.

piano0011

piano0011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
windows does boot... i can go into administrator but i can't log into my othe username... just keeps saying windows already activated and it just loop.
Just logged me out and when I clicki on my username, says the same thing....... but i can enter dos ....

Anyone good at dos? Is there something i can do at dos?

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I don't think there is any hope for you in dos. It sounds like whatever you downloaded into your computer has corrupted your operating system beyond repair. If there is any data you want to save on that hard drive I would suggest that you get another hard drive, format that one with windows, then save the data to your new hard drive and use the old one for more storage. Just be sure to scan whatever data you pull off of the old one for viruses and format the drive when you're done. The operating system on your old hard drive may be corrupt, but you can still access the data on it without trying to boot up with the operating system on it.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I think it is still to early to say reinstall. I am sure it is too early to say get a new Hard Drive.

You say you can login as the administrator. Can you create a new username and does it happen in the new username?

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
??? Where is he going with this one ??? I think I'm about to learn a new trick to put up my sleeve....