Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Viruses! I'm freaking out!

• Please log in to reply

undertakerz0

undertakerz0

• Pip
  • 1 posts
LLast night, I got three viruses when I went to the Homepage of "allthingszombie.com", and I only got 4 hours of sleep over it. They are all, I think, JAVA_BYTEVER.A1, and I don't know what to do. I saw that someone posted a topic a while ago on how to stop it, and it says to delete all temporary files, so I've done that for all but two. Pesky little buggers say that they are in use, so I think that they are the Culprits.

My brother, being the total idiot he is, thinks that we got the viruses off of Counter Strike: Source, but I'm not sure if theere is a virus you can send over a game.

I am doing a dignostics check, and it's still not showing that they are gone.

I also tries putting the computer's date back a few days, becouse apparently that is supposed to work.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Turning your PC clock back will never get rid of any virus -- whoever told you it will needs to take a few computer lessons. I'm guessing you must have a pretty poor antivirus program installed at the time or you wouldn't have got infected to start with. Buy a decent antivirus package (Bitdefender, Kaspersky, NOD32 or Avira, but not Norton or Mcafee), update it as soon as it's installed then run it on your entire system. After it's cleaned up the infections you have, keep it updated as often as possible (set it to auto-update is best).

And, yes, you can get a virus through online gaming --- through anything in fact which connects you to someone else's PC -- especially if your online opponent gets a kick out of infecting other gamer's computers or if he's losing and decides it's payback time -- his way.

Edited by pip22, 05 August 2007 - 09:37 AM.