Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can i overclock a Q6600 with these ambients?

• Please log in to reply

cyberspacegenie

cyberspacegenie

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm new to overclocking, but recently built a system and was going to try and overclock it to about 3.0GHz. Unfortunately with my current ambient temps I'm not sure whether its a good idea.

The system - main elements

Q6600
P5K-E/Wi-Fi
Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme with S-flex fan (1600 rpm currently set to 1100 rpm)
Transcend DDR2-800 RAM (1GB x 2)
Asus EN8600GT Silent (passive cooled)
Antec P150 case

I`m based in Tokyo and the computer is a room with no aircon and lots of window. I have a thermometer in the room and current ambient temps are getting up to about 35 degrees C.

At 35 deg C ambient temp I'm getting the following CPU and Mobo temps

Idle
CPU 48 degrees C (Core temp & RM clock)
Mobo 43 degrees C (speedfan)

load (running othos)

CPU 60-62 deg C
Mobo 45-46 deg C

When the ambient temp drops to about 25 degrees C the CPU idles at about 41 degrees C. I increased the fan speed at load on the CPU but it only reduces the temp by 1 degree!

These high summer temps make me feel that I would be silly to try and overclock, but I figured I would I ask people more knowledgable than myself before completely abandoning the idea.

What do you think?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Once you hit the 60*C-65*C range you don't want to push your computer much if any further, give or take a few degrees.
Wait till ambient temperature reach much lower, 20*C (give or take 2 degrees) is a good temperature to experiment with.
James

cyberspacegenie

cyberspacegenie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi James, thanks for all the advice. Despite the ambient temp (its midnight here and currently 34 degrees C) I have managed to overclock to 3GHz, which was my target. I heard that others had been able to do it in similar ambients so thought i would give it a go Been running Othos for about an hour so far and CPU temps seemed to have stablised at at 63-65 degres (RM Temp highest core temp is 63c but Core Temp highest core is 65 - not sure which to believe). The system seems stable so far. I had to put the Vcore temp up to 1.325v (unstable below this) although in Probe II it is coming up at 1.28v. Hopefully it will stay stable even in these temps. Do you think the CPU temp is too hot or is 65c acceptable?

MoBo is about 47c. I took out the 120mm fan as it seemed to make temps worse and as per your advice have the spotfan blowing on the southbridge. I read that the P5K MoBo sensor is new memory mosfits and this influences the temp reading. Acording to Asus anything bewteen 0-65c is accepteable. Its still a little hotter than I would like though.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't let it get over 65*C, I'd try and get it a little closer to 60*C under full load, watch the temps closely if ambiant temperatures get any hotter....I hope for your sakes they don't. Not comfortable when its that hot out I find.
James