Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Security

• Please log in to reply

tanda

tanda

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi everyone, Just bought a Netgear wireless router and connected it to the pc so the wife can get on the internet on her laptop. Everything is set up and running ok, but I have no security on it, so anyone can use the connection. How do I go about putting a password on it, I have logged on to the router on the internet, but I don't understand what I need to change, it is on about WEP etc, is there a guide, or something someone can point me to. Is it just a case of making up a password on the WEP, and then putting that in the laptop when it asks for it? Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What you have to do is to enable encription on the router. The router will produce a code which you have to write down or copy to a removable storage device like a ram disk. After that you have to set the code in your wife's laptop to enable it to connect to the router.

If the router is new then I hope you have installation instructions. If not, you can find it in Netgear site.

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Thanks for the reply Skeptic, The router is brand new, with all the paperwork/manuals/discs etc. I logged on the router, and ticked the box for WEP encription, I put a password in(passhrase), and encripted it, and was given 4 encripted keys, when the wife's laptop tries to go on line, you type the passprase in, it says the passphrase is incorrect and needs to be 5 or 13 charectors. So I used another passphrase, 13 charecters long, this time it says it is looking for the ip address, then says connection failed. I've unticked the WEP box again now, so it all works again, so where have I gone wrong, why won't it work, thanks for your help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you choose the type of WEP? If you choose 64 bit WEP then you have to use 5 characters. If you use 128 bit WEP you choose 13 character. These must be ASCII character, meaning any character that you can print on your keyboard. See in the menu what type of WEP you set. If you have the option to choose ASCII or Hexadecimal characters choose ASCII. Apply the changes.

tanda

tanda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi Skeptic, Managed to sort it out, I was putting in the Passphrase, when it wanted the 10 digit key, Its all up and running using WEP 64 bit. Thank you for your help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.