Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't boot Windows properly.

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have this computer that I've installed Windows XP on but it won't boot properly unless I reset the CMOS by pulling the battery out. Every other time, it just spams, "Operating system not found." One interesting thing is that in the BIOS, when I get the 'OS not found' message, there is no hard drive listed as a primary master / slave, only the optical drive as a secondary master.

So is there anything I can do to make it keep recognizing the hard drive and keep booting from it ?

Edited by Seven!, 04 August 2007 - 09:56 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hard drive sounds like its on the way out. Strongly suggest you look into replacing it.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First change the battery for new one, then go into the BIOS settings and use the 'autodetect' function there to enable the BIOS to recognise the hard drive, after which the hard drive type and it's parameters should be listed under 'primary master' on first page of the BIOS settings. That information should stay there now and the PC should boot normally every time.

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I swapped out batteries, and set the BIOS to defaults, and it loads just fine. And I can restart, and it boots just fine. But as soon as I turn the machine off, it fails again and the BIOS no longer sees the hard drive.

Perhaps there's a jumper somewhere on the motherboard that has been pulled and is augmenting this setting? I don't know for sure.