Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ati2dvag infinite loop blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

Newbit

Newbit

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok here is the problem. I have spent hours looking for a solution and no luck so far. You guys are my last hope. I have a Gateway Tablet PC that I got a year ago. It has been working smoothly and perfectly, heck I even stopped using my desktop pc because my laptop was superior. Then the worst thing happened....

All of a sudden, my monitor shuts down and a blue screen comes up, telling me that the file "ati2dvag" has caused a problem. It tells me that the device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. It shows a bunch of numbers and says Beginning dump of physical memory. And the only way to turn it off is to press the Manual on/off button on my laptop.

Now...symptoms include:
Jerky internet scrolling (It has never occured until after the blue screen of death)
Pixels on my monitor are discolored green, blue, and some red
My computer constantly freezing ( the monitor would go off, then back on suddenly)
My computer crashing (Once I boot up my computer, the moment I open something like Firefox or a game, it freezes up)
My games don't work..(something about Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error) but I know it has something to do with the blue screen because it has never occurred until now

I looked up how to fix it on the internet and saw that millions of people had the same problem with the "ati2dvag bug" as they are calling it. Some people had solutions, such as one where I would switch my driver to the standard PCI to PCI bridge, but nothing works...!
Now expensive laptop no longer works... all it does is crash everytime I boot it up
PLEASE, does anybody have a solution for this?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you updated the video card software recently?

Newbit

Newbit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
How would I go about updating my drivers?

I tried something similiar to that earlier today. I clicked on My Properties of My Computer, Hardware, Device Manager, System Devices, and right clicked on the PCI bridge and clicked update driver...I chose Advance and said I would choose to find the device to install and chose the standard PCI to PCI bridge....but no luck..I still have all the problems...

Is there another way to update...I don't have the CDs that came with it...the ATI catalyst control center came already installed on my laptop

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which ATI Card have you got?

Newbit

Newbit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It was called Intel® 82801 PCI Bridge. That was the name of the driver... I know that my computer graphics are run by ATI but not sure how to find out the specific brand

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
To find out your display driver spacifics.

Click on start click on run
Type in devmgmt.mc

That will bring up device manager.

Click on the + for Display adapters.

What is listed there?

Newbit

Newbit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X 1400

So how would I go about updating this driver?

Edited by Newbit, 05 August 2007 - 08:51 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the installation verification software

http://ati.amd.com/s...obility-xp.html

Newbit

Newbit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It says "unfortunately, this driver update cannot be installed in your system" when I run the installation verification .exe file on the link you gave me.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download the latest version, save it to a folder you create, run the set up file

http://www.filehippo...d_ati_catalyst/

Advertisements

Newbit

Newbit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok...some new weird stuff is happening to my computer now..

I left it shut off for about 12 hours because I believe the cause my be overheating, again...don't really know...
I turned on my laptop and it ran normally. There were still the discolored pixels, now its a whole scattered straight line of blue pixels running down vertically on my screen.

The computer seems to run fine. The internet isn't jerking...

UNTIL..
I start playing a game (that is 3d)(I have played it perfectly fine on my laptop since I got it a year ago)
Ok so when I start playing it, it freezes up, the monitor shuts down for a couple of seconds then loads back up...Then it happens again when I start moving my character..until no images shows up and I have to press {Ctrl+Alt+Del} to close the program.
Then I go to the internet and the scrolling goes back to the jerking, waving motion.

So it has to be something involving starting a program that runs on 3d graphics.

So then I check my screensavers..the default ones that come with my computer (the one with the 3d pipes, everyone should know what Im talking about). Well, the computer says it does not have any compatible Direct3D devices, therefore i cannot run that screensaver. And that screensaver worked perfectly before I got the blue screen.

So I'm assuming that the blue screen "dumping physical memory" erased files on my computer that are supposed to be used for 3d graphics.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this with the new drivers installed?

Newbit

Newbit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Download the latest version, save it to a folder you create, run the set up file

http://www.filehippo...d_ati_catalyst/

^Ok, ill try that now...^
I'm also redownloading Direct X version 9 for Windows XP because its a Direct3D software.

Another question...Does smooth internet scrolling depend on the quality of the graphics driver? Because I think it is.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It doesn't entirely depend on it, but it is a factor

Newbit

Newbit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
When I run the ATI update, it says

"Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operation system. Setup will now exit."

So now I'm going to try my Direct X version 9 download.

Keith, just so that I know I'm not taking up too much of your time, do you get notice when I send a reply or are you constantly checking the forums for replies, because you reply very quickly. Thanks