Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task manager tweak?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

trodas

trodas

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Guys, do anyone know if there was possible to recompile the TASKMGR.EXE :whistling: :blink:

I mean - the orginal is just 87k big with many BMP images inside as Resourcehacker revealed, so, it should be possible, right?

I would like to be able to compile it myself, so I can tweak few things, like no request before killing the task and that it will run in high priority :help: Anyone tried that?

PS. please do not argue about legality of the sources, I honestly don't care - what M$ do is illegal as well :help:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

PS. please do not argue about legality of the sources, I honestly don't care - what M$ do is illegal as well

I'll argue about what i feel like arguing about thank you very much!

and there's not really an arguement to be had...MS source code is owned by MS...so acquiring that source code through any other means than contacting MS is against THEIR policy...which makes it illegal

you might be able to find a premade tweak for something...but honestly....task manager? as if it's slowing your computer down when it's running....and to my knowledge..it does run with priority (that's kind of the point)...and out of all the things available i doubt it's the "resource hog" on your system

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
long time since I have used it but isn't there that standalone tool called process explorer which is more or less what you are asking for

http://www.sysintern...ssExplorer.html

hope this helps then

trodas

trodas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
dsenette -

I'll argue about what i feel like arguing about thank you very much!

Oh, well... you are right, that is your freedom. My freedom is to get the sourcec and recompile the TaskMan again to suit my needs :blink: And to not give a [bleep] if it is legal or illegal. Blah. This is just a labels to stop people from doing certain things. I never cared much about them anyway :)

I mean that to stop discussion on OT thing there :)

Yes, I know many patched to win (most of them can be considered illegal as well :whistling: ) but yes, TaskManager. It bugging me, that it does NOT run with high/realtime priority, so when there is task that consume 100% CPU power, then it took ages to kill this task.
Second thing that bother me is the "Are you sure" dialog to kill task... (it is not present when killing application, so, I want it off there as well). So it is not about resource hog, it is about tweakin the windows to suit me :)

fleamailman - I know this one, but I did not find it as handy or usefull as task man, so, not a solution. Yes, I have it on my disk. No, I will not use it frequently... I just want modify what I can allways call in the first place by using the Ctrl Alt Del... :help:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi trodas...

Let me rephrase what dsenette has already stated. You will not receive help with this particular request due to the encompassing legal issues. If you read the Terms of Service before you agreed to it when you joined, you would be aware of our stance on this.

Topic closed.

wannabe1