Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Monitor or Bad Video Card? or?

• Please log in to reply

RayMel1

RayMel1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an intermittent problem. My PC is about to me me pull, whats left of my hair OUT. :whistling:

The Problem isn't perse' with the PC, but with either the Video Card, OR the Monitor. (I think) :blink:

Every once in awhile, my monitor just goes black. Then a few moments later, comes right back as if nothing at all happened to it, or it might continue to do this to me for a few minutes, almost flickering. (Im not sure how to explain it.)

Anyhow, SOMETIMES (yes only sometimes) I will get a message on the all black screen telling me that there is no signal for it to display, even tho the PC is ON.

Other times, I will not even get this message, just a black screen.

I've also noticed, that when this happens, I get a sort of screeching, squealing sound out of the speakers of my Monitor, that will STOP, when the Screen decides to work again.

I have checked all the connections, and I would try another monitor to see if the problem was the video card, however, I just dont have another monitor.

It seems that the monitor will sometimes want a kind of warmup time before it will decide to work. I have left the PC off and came back and started everything after a few hours, and sometimes it does not do this to me, and sometimes it does.

I know the video card isnt anything great, and replacing it would be difficulat because of the size of the space it has to work in. Any video card suggestions for this PC would be appreciated, as long as you know it will work, that is.

I have checked the health of the Video Card, and have not yet found it to be in error, but then again, it was working when i was looking for a fault.

Is there some program I can use to be able to tell me what the problem is? I can handle it either being the Video Card or the Monitor, I just dont want to do the Wrong this 1st.

Thanks so much in advance!!
RayMel1

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there and welcome to Geeks to Go! That sounds like it would be extremely frustrating...

Can you please post your make/model of the video card and monitor? How old is the computer? Are your video card drivers updated to the latest release? Is there any specific time/activity when the problem occurs? Are there any other problems with the computer at the moment (specifically video related)? What are the specs of your power supply?

A bit more information and we can look at some options to fix this for you!

Cheers :whistling:

RayMel1

RayMel1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there and welcome to Geeks to Go! That sounds like it would be extremely frustrating...

Can you please post your make/model of the video card and monitor? How old is the computer? Are your video card drivers updated to the latest release? Is there any specific time/activity when the problem occurs? Are there any other problems with the computer at the moment (specifically video related)? What are the specs of your power supply?

A bit more information and we can look at some options to fix this for you!

Cheers :whistling:

no specific activity when this happens, its random.

I dont know the specs of the powersupply, whatever compaq put in there i guess. lol

i believe the drivers have been updated. but ive never been good with that sort of thing.

the pc is about 2 years old.

the Monitor was bought new in 2002.

Hewlett Packard Compaq Presario SR1710NX

Processor AMD Sempron 2 GHz

Chipset ATI RADEON Xpress 200

Installed Memory 768 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Monitor:
NEC 1700M+

Operating System: Windows XP HOME

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://h10025.www1.h...r...035&lang=en

Here is the update page for your computer, can you please download and update all relevant items here. (In specific, the ATI graphics drivers)

I also would like to point out that your monitor is much older than the desktop, is that right? It's possible that it is on its way out, 5 years is a long time for a monitor to be on. If the driver update doesn't do anything, I would try a new monitor. You could also try replacing the monitor cable before the monitor, it could be just the cable also...
Let us know how you go! :whistling:

RayMel1

RayMel1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks! ill give it a go! any idea whee 2 get a new monitor cord for it?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi RayMel1.

You can pick up a monitor cable at any electronics store... Best Buy, CompUSA, RadioShack. Be sure to check the return policy in case the cable isn't the problem. :whistling:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Are you sure that the sound is coming from the speakers when the monitor is not working? It sounds like the problem is with the high voltage in the monitor based on what you said. My personal suggestion would be to see if you can borrow a monitor to test it. Often people upgrade and have old monitors which are smaller, but it would serve your purpose for testing (check out freesharing or freecycle to see if you can get a monitor locally for free).