Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help computer keeps switching off

• Please log in to reply

Lynne25

Lynne25

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi can anyone please help me my boyfriends computer keeps switching its self off after a couple of mintes and just resarts it's self, there is nothing new that has been installed on it I have ran all the usual stuff but still now the wiser as to why it's restarting??

Please help many thanks

Edited by Lynne25, 05 August 2007 - 07:48 AM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
First we want to check if you are getting blue screens.

To make sure what we want to do is stop windows from automatically restarting and display the blue screen error message.

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Click APPLY and OK.

When your computer restarts automatically next report any error messages. If you get a blue screen with white text report all the technical information.

Lynne25

Lynne25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi there when I click on advanced on the properties section i do not have an option for settings??

Lynne25

Lynne25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have also removed the cover to check for dust and it's fine, also tried to do a system restore to an earlier day but no luck. Really stuck now

Lynne25

Lynne25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
sorry to be a pain but if I put in the xp disc and try to fix the problems will I lose pictures and personnal stuff??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With post 2, did you get this

[attachment=15250:Screensh...22_15_38.png]